Anyone throw sai ?

Anyone throw sai ?

Figure a hay-bale would make a good target.
Not really a wood-penetrating type item.

sai10.jpg

http://www.karatedo.free.fr/images/kobudo/sai/sai10.jpg

<:eek:> THEY call me 'Dean' <>
dean-sp-sm.jpg

<:)> fYI-fWiW-iIRC-JMO-M2C-YMMV-TiA-YW-GL-HH-HBd
<:D> Noobee <> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links --A--T--H--D

I've only handled a few a long time ago and I agree, the tips aren't very sharp. However, you could benchgrind them down?? The winter targets people are talking about wrapping with duc-tape would be better than a hay bale, you might end up looking for a sai in a haystack before you know it;-)

I agree with the haystack not being the best target unless its packed firm .
I don,t know if I would grind the tips to points as they might be case hardened or some other method that wouldn,t give the desired result and might get worse the more you grind .

They do seem like they would be an interesting throw ! It looks like you could throw them by handle or blade . The only bad thing is you might sai if you miss the target ! L:O:L

Let us know how it works out ?

I throw sais. you can throw them unsharpened into softer woods as they have much aplomb to them, but you have to hit right on. SKS bajonets e.g. have a screwdriver-point and they are quite popular for throwing.

I ground the tips of mine to a point with a belt-sander, though, since that is easier on the target. I wouldn't bother too much about messing up heat treatment, because I don't think most of those cheap things have something like it.

Ookami

I agree with Ookami, Sai are not like throwing a knife. it's like throwing a long spike. It may have a fancy hilt but it will not help with flight like a flat blade will. You have to hit it right on and be consistent. I would recommend collecting cardboard boxes, break them down (i.e. flatten them and tape them together) and you sould'nt have any problems sticking them even with the factory point. Have fun, and don't stand too close!:D

7Cain

Ookami said:
I throw sais. you can throw them unsharpened into softer woods as they have much aplomb to them, but you have to hit right on. SKS bajonets e.g. have a screwdriver-point and they are quite popular for throwing.

I ground the tips of mine to a point with a belt-sander, though, since that is easier on the target. I wouldn't bother too much about messing up heat treatment, because I don't think most of those cheap things have something like it.

Ookami

What you do about the chrome plating when sharpening?

I tried to sharpen my sai but the chrome plating flakes on the points. Are there sai without the stupid chrome plating?

Thanks

"Are there sai without the stupid chrome plating?"

Yep.

wp-tr-08.jpg

http://www.karatedepot.com

:D

Oh, metal sai ......... :rolleyes:

Usually noted as 'black'
if stainless steel, then may be powder-coated (painted)
usually carbon steel (rustable) with natural black effect (black oxide - 'rust' )

pix
http://images.google.com/images?svn...metal|pair|octagon+-dial+-ebay+-watch+-chrome

web pages
http://www.google.com/search?num=10...|iron|metal|pair|octagon+-ebay+-watch+-chrome

Plating that flakes up is poorly [cheaply] done
[unless rust has gotten beneath]

don't worry about the chrome coming off. it will also come off when you hit the dirt with your 'rebounds'
go for chepo sai and don't worry about their finish I say.

Ookami

I think a couple of guys have made excellent points . Without seeing the sais it is hard to determine how they are made . They can be a tough durable metal throughout or plated and have a soft interior . I think the cardboard box target sounds like a great idea . once you got used to throwing them I think you will find they are a neat item .

In the (legit) Okinanwan kobudo ryu I studied there was a move in one of the kata that involved throwing the right-hand sai into your opponent's foot (spiking it to the ground), and pulling a third sai from the obi at your back to continue the rest of the kata. So this throw was only a short one.

Of course the only time we ever practiced that "for real" was in the wide outdoors on a grass lawn/field. In the dojo it was just simulated without the 3rd sai tucked in the back of your obi.

As far as I know I was taught all of the sai kata in that ryu...so I don't know of any other "historical" examples of throwing sai.

I could be wrong on this but wasnt the thrown sai a smaller version? Not as big as a normal one?

Knifesmith

Can't say for certain what the "official" rule was but we trained w/ three of the same size if possible. The kata has the throw about 1/2way thru and thus you use the thrown sai normally for the 1st half.

Either way I remember burying those suckers up to the tines in the ground...even on the cold mornings when we could see our breath. Wouldn't want that thru my foot!

Back