Anyone tried a cross draw?

I was thinking of a cross draw for my ratweiler. Anyone try something like that? Any pics?

For woods or edc?

I've worn the Winkler belt knife at 10 or 11 o clock and liked it, the ratweiler is a bit larger though. Assuming the sheath is kydex and will be worn horizontal I would guess there would be some sagging. Maybe with a real sturdy belt and tight fitting attachment some sag could be eliminated.

Sorry not of more help..

I've never crossdraw carried that large of a blade. I baldric carry a 711 sometimes and really like that style if I want fast access to the blade.

I don't usually wear cross-draw, but I designed an accessory that would allow you to carry it an an angle like this:

P1040424.JPG

Here's that accessory on a Rodent 9:

P1040355.JPG

The accessory would let you carry cross-draw a bit lower so as not to have the handle in your ribs. It comes with a belt-loop and clip that can be hard-mounted, but it's also compatible with Tek-Lok products. There's a link to a sale-thread about it in my sig-line.

In the woods, I'm partial to drop-leg carry. The R9 gets a leg-strap to keep it from flapping around.

I carry my B8 horizontal cross draw. I have a Welke taco sheath with a tek-lok on it. Haven't tried it with a large pack, but just hiking around on our property I usually keep it at 6 o'clock and slide it up to 3 on my belt easily when I want to unsheath it. I like that it's completely out of the way and won't snag on anything since it's behind me until I need it.

I've tried Chiral's UKE. It is a well done device, IMO. I have NOT tried it cross draw, though I recognize how it could work quite well for that.

Only done that with smaller blades (GW, AD, MS, R3, MBC). For bigger blades, I think 4~6" blades (ASH-1, TRASH-1, R6) scout/small of the back carry should work OK, but I don't think anything bigger will work very well in that mode.
That said, I think Chiral's device would work great with anything from 4" upwards.

...For bigger blades, I think 4~6" blades (ASH-1, TRASH-1, R6) scout/small of the back carry should work OK, but I don't think anything bigger will work very well in that mode...

Are you calling me a liar? :confused:

J.k., but horizontal cross draw/scout really is my preferred carry for the B8. I guess it may not work as well for other blades in the 7-8" range that are more handle heavy though. On my particular setup, the tek-lok mounts right over the balance point and with a decent belt it rides fine, ymmv.

Are you calling me a liar? :confused:

Not at all!
Just saying that for me anything bigger wouldn't work that well, I wouldn't want blade or handle sticking out on either side of me. Guess it all depends on how much back a person has...

Now you're calling me fat?!?! Lol :p

Really just joking around, it's all good man. I should try to get a pic for the OP.

Back