1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Anyone use/love the now ancient Battle Rat?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Stubai, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Stubai

Stubai

Mar 16, 2007
    It has been a while since the Battle Rat was first sold. Curious if anyone still has their blade or has it been sold off? My Basic 9 is still going strong but my Battle Rat is right up there in performance. I just love that blade size and feel that it represents a great survival/camp blade.

luethge likes this.
  2. luethge

luethge Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2017
    2CD8CAEF-B7E1-4FB6-846C-E56971A5A4F8.jpeg

Picked this Grail up from an outstanding forum member , a sentimental piece to say the least.

Used it a little and sent it down to josh @razor-edge-knives. Amazing reprofiling work and a scalpel edge. I’m honestly afraid to use it now.

This is a Rat I’ll probably NEVER part with.

Amazing blades !

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    rpn, Hard Knocks, hydeinmind and 10 others like this.
  3. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Looks like a baby BB13, and that edge resembles the sweetest crispiest part of the bacon :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

luethge and MattinLA like this.
  4. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    The Battle Rat is definitely a sweet blade. It was my first Bussekin knife, followed by a Camp Tramp.:)

rpn, luethge, Béma and 1 other person like this.
  5. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Battle Rat has long been my main yard chopper. The shrubs quiver in fear at its very appearance.

luethge, Ironkid883 and Stump Buster like this.
  6. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    Love my Battle Rat and Camp Tramp! Also have a well loved Howling Rat!

wetdog1911, cut it out, rpn and 4 others like this.
  7. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Used mine to cut my wedding cupcake, it's been with me on safari in Africa, it's helped with cleaning up the property, it's been carried at work and is my baseline for gauging all my blades over 8". It has definitely earned its place in my collection!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have a nimble full height grind Satin Battle Rat that Nate acid washed and sharpened for me...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So Yeah, I kinda like 'em.;):thumbsup:

blackhat, rpn, d762nato and 12 others like this.
  8. Ironkid883

Ironkid883 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 29, 2018
    I only have the camp tramp and only got to use it yesterday and its awesome gonna be a mid size in my black res c set 311 is small in the set and maybe the battle to complete it? Or 1111 20190702_192438.jpg

9. snwbrdr202

snwbrdr202 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Thank you for this thread :) The Battle Rat is by far my favorite of all Bussekin and probably one of the most versatile knives in its class. Light, simple & clean lines, Res-C, and clipped differential SR101; what’s not to like? Differential heat treat matters not for most Rat fanatics, but for any knife over 7” it’s a must for me as I’ve had great results with it. She reminds me of the Swamps version of a SHBM. I’ve definitely clocked the most use-time with my Battle Rats with a Battle Mistress in close second. If there are two knives that I could NEVER part with, they would be the Battle Rat and the Battle Mistress. Just be sure to use her brother! She’ll be depressed sitting in a drawer like these safe queens LOL.

upload_2019-7-3_17-17-38.jpeg

10. dogrunner

dogrunner Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Still got and use mine. And its little brother the Howler, who lives in my field pack. My favorite winter knife too, thanks to the res-C.

WatermanChris and Stump Buster like this.
  11. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Have a Satin Battle Rat, and it's a keeper. Truth be told, I have too many potential users and not enough work to actually do with them.

12. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    BITE YOUR TONGUE... There's Wimmin Folk 'round here that may overhear such jibber jabber!!!

13. legaleagle

legaleagle

Apr 26, 2010
    Like it? I love it. B11 is my number one, but this battles for number two.

luethge and lex2006 like this.
  14. RobStanley

RobStanley Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I've never used a SW Battle Rat. However it looks very similar in design and size to the SYKCO 911, which is a monster knife...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    kniferMan and luethge like this.
  15. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    Still one of my more used knives. Always in the truck and gets used a lot. Just trimmed some branches over the weekend with mine.

Garth

16. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    YES!! It’s my go to big knife. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

WatermanChris and Stump Buster like this.
  17. cut it out

Apr 11, 2010
    Just My opinion, but the Swamp should have the Battle Rat and camp tramp and howling rat in stock at all times. Those 3 will handle everyone’s knife needs.

WatermanChris, rpn, MattinLA and 3 others like this.
  18. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    I love my SyKco 911 and my Camp Tramp...and I will have to add an Alpha Regulator to the Fold...

WatermanChris and luethge like this.
  19. cut it out

Apr 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Just touched up the edge on her. :)

20. cut it out

Apr 11, 2010
    The only thing better than a BR is 2 Battle Rats :)

[​IMG]