Anyone Use the Sharpening Service at Your Local ACE Hardware?

Hey all.

I am looking for a local guy to sharpen a new lock blade carry knife I got. As I searched thru the results from Google, I found that it was in fact a system at the local ACE Hardware. It’s some kinda high tech sharpening system that does the sharpening on auto-pilot, for lack of a better description. I can’t recall the name of the technology though. Its done by a machine. It’s really inexpensive. I am wondering how well this service works on a knife that doesn’t have a good edge to start with.

Do you all know anything about the sharpening? Ever had it done to one of your knives?

I’d like to hear what you all think of this option.

Thanks for your time.

In the long run, I think you'd be better off getting yourself a rig, even if it's only a Spyderco Sharpmaker with diamond rods or Worksharp.
It also looks like a glorified Chef Mate.

Looks like one of those old Tru-Hone style sharpeners with the intermeshing wheels. Neat concept, but I'd have to see the job it did to investigate further before I'd ever trust it with a good knife.

And yeah, I use a water cooled belt grinder for reprofiling, then freehand for finish. Couldn't ask for better or easier edges. That machine might be a good option for those who don't sharpen knives themselves though. Has anyone actually examined an edge produce by one? There aren't any near me.

I don't know what knife you have, but I would take in a lower cost knife first (not a horrible $2 junk knife, but something halfway decent, just not expensive) and see how it goes. If you find it satisfactory, then go for it on your nicer stuff.

I think the consensus is to DIY. Not to mention, something that has a potential to remove more than it should especially unattended or by an easily distracted person of younger years, then I would be rather wary. But hey, try an inexpensive beater and report back on the outcome.

I wouldn't offer up anything in more modern 'supersteels', to be the test subject on this device. Looks like this service is marketed toward run-of-the-mill kitchen cutlery and basic user/EDC knives, based on what I see on their site (Resharp). I'm betting the wheels are aluminum oxide and therefore better-suited for mass market mainstream cutlery.

If the machine is grinding completely new bevels, I could see that being useful for old or very worn & inexpensive knives. A new, crisp set of bevels can make DIY maintenance sharpening at home much simpler, after the fact. I used to utilize a guided setup on some of my knives to lay the foundation for a good edge, while I was training my hands for freehand. It's much easier to see if technique is good for freehanding, if the jumping off point is a known good edge and fully apexed. But I wouldn't want to subject a blade to that full regrinding process each and every time it's sharpened, as that'd likely shorten the useful life of the knife by a big margin, removing much more steel than necessary.

My favorite sharpening options at ACE Hardware have always been found among the store's inventory. They've carried some decent & relatively inexpensive sharpening stones in aluminum oxide and (sometimes) silicon carbide. I've bought a few of those, and haven't been disappointed. ;)

I disagree about the wheels. I'd bet that they are electroplated diamond or CBN. It would be too much work dressing wheels and lost wheel dimensions using anything else.

I too expect that the machine will remove more steel than really necessary. I'm not sure how the "vision" system works, I wonder if it looks for reflections off the apex. I watched some videos at the parent company's website, the machine clearly seems to be inspecting the edge between passes.

Better vid here:

Last edited:
That's actually pretty cool. Unlike others I think this might not remove steel excessively. Laser reflection for edge analysis should allow it to stop when apexed. Bristle brushes for deburring.

I read the read the title and had to do a double take. Where is the closet ACE hardware by me? I guess one is 5 minutes away. I haven't seen an ACE store in a few years.

It is nice that they offer a sharpening service, those can be hard to come by. Would I trust it for one of my knives? Nope, I'll keep sharpening them myself.

The little locally owned ace in my rural town doesn't have one of these, but if it did I'd definitely take a knife in to see how it does.

Looks like they are not available in a lot of areas. There are only four in all of Michigan, three in the Detroit metro area and one in the western upper peninsula. If it was close I'd take a sample knife it and try it.
Unfortunately it's more than an hour each way to the closest "resharp". If you are in the Chicago area, there are TEN locations with a unit in the west suburbs.

Looking at 1 Reddit knife pic after this machined sharpened it reminds me of a coarse factory edge.
As a 20 year BF member and Lansky owner you know about edges and angles at a practical level. Have you upgraded to diamonds on your Lansky or added the base, that would be a good idea. You could look at the ACE hardware sharpening machine as a first step to establish / set a coarse, but more accurate, factory edge angle matching your favorite Lansky slot. The question does arises, why is this not standard equipment at the factories? They could easily add code for each model...

If you are in a busy season of life where you want knives sharpened fast, I would recommend you start with a Worksharp Ken Onion (WSKO) and belt set now (137.00 US), practice on thrift store folders and fixed blades, then you will be ready to get your normal knives very sharp with a smooth / fine edge (last belt is 4 or 6000 grit I think). I keep mine in a box in the livingroom, and it sets up as fast as a Sharpmaker.
In a year or so, you might be ready to add the blade grinding attachment (which has wider belts, fewer limitations-though minor in my opinion, and more use options).

To be clear, my Boker Merlin, Benchmade Shoki 480, nor the Pena see anything with more then hand power on a well kitted KME.

The local hardware store has a Work Sharp, they let you try for free. I don't know which belt they have in it (Coarse, Medium or Fine).

Back