Anyone used the Spyderco Puukko Yet?

CKE2

Gold Member
Just looking for anyone with feedback on the Spyderco Puukko.

Thanks

Craig

By all accounts, they are excellent performers for real bushcraft activities (carving, slicing, notching, etc.)

I just don't like the price. You can get a handforged knife from Finland for that price.

I'm curious about this one as well. Given the lack of posts in the Spyderco forum though it doesn't seem like this one's a big seller.

I just don't like the price. You can get a handforged knife from Finland for that price.

Succintly put. At the price point it inhabits this knife directly competes with custom puukkos. I suspect we won't see many sales, and by extension, feedback from ELUs until the price comes down a bit.

I won't comment on the price as I think of it a a niche market....more for the benefit of someone wanting a Spyderco Puukko. Much like people complained about the price of the bushcraft they are putting out. If it is half as good as the Bushcraft then it will be well worth the $$$.

I don't want this to turn into a rant about the pricing of it though....just looking for user thoughs.

Thanks guys!

I would be more inclined to try one of these were the handle material more traditional. While I am not all that driven by price, one way or the other, the Spyderco Puukko price point is past the point where I would want more of an option than just what the catalog says.
I am sure it performs well. I know my Spyderco BushcraftUK knife is a superb performer with all sorts of bushcraft tasks.

Dude You have been here since 1999, thats 13 years, give or take.

You know why the dumb hole is there

Yes, Alberta Ed knows why, and far more, as anyone who's followed his postings for those 13+ years can attest! I believe that was just a rhetorical question. Esp since it makes me also ask: why the dumb hole? :)

The hole is there because it is a Spyderco. It's a characteristic of their knives. It serves no other purpose.

^^^^
Basically what I was told when I asked a similar question. :)

The knife sure looks nice but not for that kind of money. I love Spyderco knives but the hole in this blade is utterly unnecessary. I can't wait to get my hands on one at the Gun Show near my home next month.

Don't like the steel choice, don't like the price... not for the country of origin. No way I would buy this knife.

Acquired one Sunday, have not had a chance to do anything with it.
Nicely made.
Denis

No question that it was well made or can perform. It's really the price.

If Spyderco was pushing them for $125 each, there would be a shortage of them in the market. I'd buy one, prolly two then, but at the current price, I'd rather spend that on a hand-made from Finland.

Arrived today.

I wanted one in a high-performing SS, and after weeks of looking and lots of emails, this was the best deal.

I thought.

Now not so sure.

It is well executed (And I just do not get this objection to knives made in another democracy that happens to be in Asia instead of Europe.).

BUT the so-called "typically" teardrop-shaped handle is like no other puukko handle I have seen (I own several in carbon steel and looked at hundreds of internet pics.) - very narrow on the bottom edge. It is very narrow as compared to every other Pukka Tuominen puukko I can find. Closest is the Hackman puukko designed by Tapio Wirkkala, but that one feels, and is, is wider on the bottom edge.

It is OK in the usual grip, but not comfortable for me in other carving grips. It is really less comfortable than any other puukko I own. Quite a come-down.

And for those who think they can take delivery of a custom-built puukko in the U.S. for under $160, much less in a high-end steel, best of luck. And please tell me where when you find it. I certainly could not. Production models in .8 carbon steel, sure, and very nice production I am sure, like Ahti - great values.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You are one of the few that seem to have firsthand experience with this particular knife.

BUT the so-called "typically" teardrop-shaped handle is like no other puukko handle I have seen (I own several in carbon steel and looked at hundreds of internet pics.) - very narrow on the bottom edge. It is very narrow as compared to every other Pukka Tuominen puukko I can find. Closest is the Hackman puukko designed by Tapio Wirkkala, but that one feels, and is, is wider on the bottom edge.

I wonder why Pekka designed the handle that way. He is quite familiar with that particular cross section and he uses it on his own handmade puukkos. Here is a picture that I hope illustrates it. Pekka's knife is in the middle.

dsc0126ez.jpg

And for those who think they can take delivery of a custom-built puukko in the U.S. for under $160, much less in a high-end steel, best of luck. And please tell me where when you find it. I certainly could not. Production models in .8 carbon steel, sure, and very nice production I am sure, like Ahti - great values.

$160? That's a step in the right direction. When this knife first came out it had a street price of ~ $225. Even now it seems to sell for right around $200. I can name several Finnish smiths that offer custom puukkos at the $200 price point -- Jukka Hankala, Saku Honkilahti, Pasi Hurttila, Joonas Kallioniemi, and Veijo Käpylä are a few.

He designed, but others executed. I have looked at pictures of his and I see a "teardrop," but not as narrow.

Given that Elmax comes from a company that regularly supplies 510 to puukko makers, Bohler, I wonder why I can't find a traditional puukko in Elmax.

Back