Anyone using a machinist's tool chest to store their collection?

I have wanted one of the Gerstner machinist tool chest, oak boxes for about 40 years now. I've n ever actively searched them out until recently. Had opportunities to buy a few over the years at antique/gun shows, but passed on them as I knew little about them.

My knife collection is growing and I have some other items I'd like to display (by opening a shallow drawer) my old badges from the cop job, my small military wing collection, watches, etc.

Got on the net a few weeks back and started looking around. Gerstner is probably THE best known and prolific maker of multi drawer, wooden boxes. They have been in Ohio since 1908 I believe. Still there, still building them.

chests-and-bases

Some of these cases/boxes were used for dental tools back in the old days too. And even surgical tools on some occasions. They were leatherette covered or oak.

Ton of them on E Bay but the prices tend to be crazy. I'd like to find a reasonably priced, old box, clean it up, refinish it and use it to store my toys. I DO have a line on two right now.

Anyone a fan of these neat old boxes?

Ive wanted one of those for a long time as well.
My better half wont allow it, "it doesnt go with our decor". Hah
The price was always an issue for me too, but there are some pretty nice look alikes as well, i think they were castlecreek brand?
Maybe one day when the kids are moved out i can claim a room for my guy stuff and finally get one.

morvlorv,

Do excuse me here, but You have poked a very raw nerve for me. Do You contribute to your Family? Meaning You work?
Unless you are a worthless, gambling or drug addicted individual who doesn't contribute at all...You can't have a several hundred dollar item?

It's not allowed! Life is far too short for that sort of BS.

FN

Maybe it's just not high on his priority list.

There are quite a few "several hundred dollar" items I would really like to have. But there are also many that I do have, just because I wanted them. Just gotta pick and choose sometimes.

And yes, if it doesn't go with the decor, well, she gets a say in the household too. I'm sure my wife wouldn't be too happy if I displayed my gun collection in the living room, no matter how nice they look. Just like she doesn't get to keep her 40+ pair of heels in the living room.

I know I went over the top with my reply. Had a very good friend die a few years back. NEVER indulged himself. Always thought of the Wife and the family first. Loved to hunt, but never bought the nicer gear he always wanted. He was a car guy, but drove an older vehicle so his wife could always have a "reliable" car...read....NEW. I could go on and on....He passes from cancer and she could have cared less. Short of her meal ticket ending. I always remember Jeff wanting , but always sacrificing for the Wife. I meant no disrespect to the OP.

Gerstner does/did an "International" line built in China. I have read mixed reviews., Sort of a crap shoot on quality. But much cheaper than the Ohio made chests. Garrett Wade sells them. IIRC the 11 drawer from GW is like $529?

I think the best deal is finding an old Gerstner that was restored or restore it yourself. They will sell all the original hardware, glue, felt and finishing supplies.

I know I went over the top with my reply. Had a very good friend die a few years back. NEVER indulged himself. Always thought of the Wife and the family first. Loved to hunt, but never bought the nicer gear he always wanted. He was a car guy, but drove an older vehicle so his wife could always have a "reliable" car...read....NEW. I could go on and on....He passes from cancer and she could have cared less. Short of her meal ticket ending. I always remember Jeff wanting , but always sacrificing for the Wife. I meant no disrespect to the OP.

It's all good. I've known a few guys who never got anything for themselves, either because they sacrificed for the greater good, or the wife just would not allow it, and it is a bit upsetting.

I've also known a few who spent every dime, without care of what's good for the family - new cars, collections of firearms, tools, and tattoos, while the house is in squaller and the kid's shoes are worn through the soles. Balance is everything.

Me, I've gotta convince my wife to let me start a new AR build. But first I'll have to sacrifice that Tag Heuer F1 I've been eyeing up... :D

Yeah "balance". Way over rated.....He with the most toys wins.

Seriously...I was a cop for 32 years. Saw it all. Always amazed me the folks living in a trailer with the jet skis, fishing boat, snowmobiles, Harleys, etc. Yet they were 2 payments away from foreclosure on it all! I couldn't sleep at night living that way.

Or the ones who spent their money at the local bar. No insurance on house or vehicles, never paid bills on time, scammed everyone. But ALWAYS had money for booze and smokes.

Different values.

You can also search "watch makers bench" or "watch makers desk". Similar to design, maybe not any cheaper but when it comes to used things, people list em in all types of manners.

I like to make my wife happy. She makes as much money as I do and is great with finances. So when she wants something it is usually something she wants for one of her hobbies or the house, not unreasonable and she will use and enjoy it.

For me, on the other hand, I have found that no matter how much I want something, as soon as I get it I realize, oh, its just stuff.

That doesn't apply to my two Mastiffs. They are part of the family. And way more expensive than any of my old hobbies like golf, guns or knives.

I've got 4 Gerstner & Sons (Dayton, OH) and a really old Union chest.

I found them all in pawn shops or flea markets (I don't have a "wife" :p)

I bought an 1805 Retro several years ago at Blade from the Gerstner booth, they offered a terrific price ($350) for what is now a $1245 chest. I would never have paid full price for one though.

i got the cheap one from harbor freight with a 25% off coupon, it does the trick!

I bought an 1805 Retro several years ago at Blade from the Gerstner booth, they offered a terrific price ($350) for what is now a $1245 chest. I would never have paid full price for one though.

I have heard they do an annual sale for Members of their Owners Club and it's worth the club fee for the sizable discount. Any ideas on these? OR the discount?

I've got 4 Gerstner & Sons (Dayton, OH) and a really old Union chest.

I found them all in pawn shops or flea markets (I don't have a "wife" :p)
I have started the search fo a Gerstner in earnest. Visited a buddy down in AZ last Winter and there were several at a local, HUGE flea Market in Quartzite, AZ. I was in my Camaro so no room, for one. I may head down again and hit that flea market. I have seldom seen them here in MT. Too small a population base I think.

I have started the search fo a Gerstner in earnest. Visited a buddy down in AZ last Winter and there were several at a local, HUGE flea Market in Quartzite, AZ. I was in my Camaro so no room, for one. I may head down again and hit that flea market. I have seldom seen them here in MT. Too small a population base I think.

I'm in SC, and most often see the (made in china) Gerstner internationals.. I try to seek out affordable ones made in Dayton OH (preferably with wooden bottom drawers)

there is a Gerstner forum if you want to do some reading

I have heard they do an annual sale for Members of their Owners Club and it's worth the club fee for the sizable discount. Any ideas on these? OR the discount?

Yes they do offer sales prices for owners club members (you have to own an H Gerstner and provide proof of ownership). They have an annual sale every year about April or May IIRC. They have a booth at Blade each year and usually the President of the company is there manning the booth (great grandson of Harry Gerstner). I have seen some good deals offered there over the years.

I'm already ON the Forum...just found a very nice 042 the smaller, 20" chest there.

Also found a 20", proper base on e bay for the 042, but it's silly expensive.

Back