Anything better than a Griptilian within that price range?

JDX

Okay, I started off with a few cheaper knives to practice sharpening (spyderco resilience, Ontario rat 1) just recently picked up an s30v Kershaw blur, and now I'm looking to spend a little more.

The knives I have now are mostly knives I use in the house, or at work. For example, my resilience is my food prep knife. My Ontario is my edc, a SAK farmer II as a secondary edc, and to be honest, the blur was kind of an impulse buy. Its gotten such great critiques I decided to pick one up.

But I've realized, I don't have a knife to use outside. I'm not going to baton with this knife or anything, but I need something that won't get rusted, and can stand the elements. This blade will be carried along fishing and hunting trips, used to clean game. MAYBE some feather sticking if the occasion arises.

Now I hear the griptilian is phenomenal, but is it right for what I need? Within the $100 budget, give or take $25, what knife would be my best bet? I am not looking for a fixed blade. I own a few. I'm a fan of g-10 handles, I'm not picky about locks, so it doesn't matter.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for answering.

Could try out the Spyderco Manix 2. FFG s30v blade with g10 handles.

You can get a Sage 1 for about $5 more which is a way better knife with better steel. My Grip was my first quality knife I bought a few years back but I only paid $72 for it. That's a good price for them but $100 is a joke in my opinion. BM makes good quality knives but they really capitalize on the "I only buy American" knives.

Spyderco Salt (3" $65) or Pacific Salt (3.8" $75)
- the Salt series have H1 steel and will not rust. Black or lose-me-not Yellow handles. Plain or Full Serrated edges but for feather sticks go Plain.

Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (3.44" $115)
- very tough knife, S30V steel, Black DLC coating for added protection, Compression Lock, G10 scales.

Could try out the Spyderco Manix 2. FFG s30v blade with g10 handles.

I agree with this. I currently have both, if I had to choose between them it would be the Manix. Also take a look at the Zero Tolerance 0566. The BM is a great knife though, you can't go wrong with any of them. For around $40 you can have a Buck Vantage Select Force, it's a pretty sweet knife also.

The Grip is very nice and personally I'll take 154cm over most steels any day. It's tough, holds a great edge and is easier to sharpen. Also, I don't know if I would consider any of the knives we are talking about to have a steel that's greatly better than the other.

If you like the ergonomics of the Griptillian then you should look at the Bone Collector if they still make it. It's essentially the Grip with G10 instead of composite.

You might also look at the Spyderco Manix 2 or the Paramilitary 2 as well.

The Griptilian is a great, classic knife but, IMO, it's nowhere near the top of the class in that price range. For around $100 you can get a Spyderco Stretch in ZDP-189, a Manix 2 Lightweight in S110V, a Manix 2 XL if you want a bigger blade, a Paramilitary 2, a Kershaw Blur with an Elmax blade or a selection of knives from Kizer using S35VN.

I don't think you'd be at all unsatisfied with the Grip, and it would do everything you asked of it, but there are some crazy, phenomenal values around that price.

I really like my Grip, but I do think it is overpriced for what you get. Its a great knife no doubt, but I think it should be in the $75 range.

If I could go back and do it again I may very well go with the Spyderco Delica or Endure. VG10 with good ergonomics and blade geometry for around $65-75, which is the price range I think the Griptillian should be in.

The Griptilian is a great, classic knife but, IMO, it's nowhere near the top of the class in that price range. For around $100 you can get a Spyderco Stretch in ZDP-189, a Manix 2 Lightweight in S110V, a Manix 2 XL if you want a bigger blade, a Paramilitary 2, a Kershaw Blur with an Elmax blade or a selection of knives from Kizer using S35VN.

I don't think you'd be at all unsatisfied with the Grip, and it would do everything you asked of it, but there are some crazy, phenomenal values around that price.

This person knows his market, the knives, and the steels. Listen to him.

I think a Grip would serve you well, but you may want to look at the benchmade Northfork. It is similar to the grip, but with an S30v drop point blade and it can be had in two tone G10 or Diamond wood (for a more outdoorsy look). I think its blade shape would be better for cleaning small game because it has added belly. It is a little north of your price range though. I have handled one at my local shop and its very nice. It seemed to have a better fit and finish than the griptilian series.

I like orange handles on my outdoors knives (some say this is a gimmick) but I have dropped my phone in the woods before and it has an otterbox with blaze orange on it and, it took no time to locate it. Grips can be had with orange handles. You could save yourself some cash and look at the Spyderco endura.

I know you said you didnt want a fixed blade, but I think a small fixed blade is the best option. A Bark River Bravo necker, or something along those lines. If you are partial to benchmade, the hidden canyon hunter is a great option at $114

Well, first off the Grip doesn't have G-10 scales---they are a lightweight plastic. You can buy custom scales and transform it into an awesome custom knife, but total cost would be about $150-160 for that knife. I did that with my 550HG, and it's incredible but just a tad heavy for EDC.

The Spydie Para2 is a classic model that everyone should own at some point, and it is very near your budget. Great design, good materials, USA-made. Hard to beat for an outdoors EDC

I agree with those above who say the Griptilian is an excellent knife but not competitive in its price range. That said, I've owned one for years, it served me well during the time I carried it. I'm sure you'll get good service from it if you buy one.

Nothing really to add as far as what most others have said. The factory grip I had was great when I got it at the pre-map price of $72 shipped. If you can find one around that price go for it. But in the $100 range it is over priced. You can get greatly up graded steel and materials elsewhere for the same money.

Manix2 LW (can get BD1 version for cheaper than a Grip... the S110 is a bit more, but way better steel).

I do like the Grip though... you can't go wrong with it.

The Griptilian is an awesome knife. $85 is a solid and fair price all day every day.

Yeah, but that's not the price, at least new and from a reputable dealer. And even then, it is well above the old price. That is the price for a mini-grip. Perhaps that is what you are thinking.

$100 is asking a lot for 154cm, half steel liners, and a plastic handle.

The HK suggested above is at least more reasonable in what you get.

I really like my Grip, but I do think it is overpriced for what you get. Its a great knife no doubt, but I think it should be in the $75 range.

If I could go back and do it again I may very well go with the Spyderco Delica or Endure. VG10 with good ergonomics and blade geometry for around $65-75, which is the price range I think the Griptillian should be in.

I agree with this for the most part. I actually bought my Delica before mini-grip, and I should have skipped the 556 all together. It would be awesome if it had G10 handles, but it doesn't, so it isn't, imo. I'd just scoop up an Endura instead.

I'm not a Benchmade hater at all. I have a 531 in my pocket, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a 940. I just don't particularly love the grip/mini-grip.

Last edited:
Back