Anything out there as small and tough as the Spyderco Manbug?

Been carrying the Manbug [serrated] since it was released. It's been the perfect EDC for me, but it is time for a change.

Is there anything out there as small and tough as the Manbug?

Bark river epk fixed knife... small and hella rugged I also like the spyderco cat and the boker gnome in this weight class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the Manbug, as far as toughness goes the Miro Recon would be as tough maybe even a little tougher than the Manbug, also the little Boker (second from top) is a very solid little knife.
Untitled by Danny Nystrom, on Flickr

Love the Manbug also!! You can also check out a G10 model. Great little knife that is extremely tough!!
Joe
5bdb11bd418767ad14e096ee72d839b2.jpg

Here's mine with a Chap and a Para 2.

If you wouldn't mind an auto, check out the Pro Tech Sprint!! I have one and it is a tough and fun little blade!!
I'll get a pic up a little later!

Here's the Sprint with a few other autos. Very small and very tough knife! S35vn blade steel, fires hard and locks up tight!
1f5ab631b4266ee089278294141b61dd.jpg

I have been carrying and using this tough little Anza since about 1982.

HCKP3L.jpg

The closest thing they sell today is this. I just gave one to my son. (Stock photo from their site.) Sixty bucks with a pretty decent leather sheath.

8h6tJA.jpg

I'm not sure of the size of a Manbug, but Fallkniven U2 is small & decent. The FH9 is a little larger & tougher.

I'm not sure of the size of a Manbug, but Fallkniven U2 is small & decent. The FH9 is a little larger & tougher.

Hey MT!
The Manbug is literally tiny! Here it is next to a 940.
I tied a silly & large lanyard on it to help with grip. Believe it or not......it is one tough and competent knife! Only thing I don't like about it is the blade steel. VG 10 isn't one of my favorites. Not a deal breaker though.
Joe

7e7fb89ea8278e8a1c8f0792e002d218.jpg

You could . . . for something a bit more traditional, retro, what have you . . . go with a Buck Knight 505. One of my original EDCs I carried for years way back in the day. Seems to still be available new. Buck shows it on their web page.

There is something about going into an old local hardware store and buying a knife like this out of the tall skinny display . . . Kind of an EVENT you know ? I miss that !

The blade is a bit smaller than stock due to the fact that I arced it while cleaning a battery post for a damsel in distress to get her car to start. Put a nice divot in the edge that I had to later grind out. Yes that was dumb . . . I was a bit distracted by said beauty. I have since become much more immune to their venom with repeated bites over the years but those first few take a toll . . .

Knives . . .
yes . . . ahhhhhh . . . top one (for size comparison) Dragonfly, then Cold Steel Tuff Lite Mini (alas not made any more) and finally the Buck.

Very nice knife. I learned to pinch it in my pocket to partly open it (very easy to do) then hook the handle on the edge of my pocket and it would open as it came out of my pocket. The wave before the wave.

Can close it one handed by pushing lock release with thumb and wiping the back of the blade on your leg. Becomes second nature.

It's really decent in the hand and Buck tuff; no problem there.

Oh and it may be a bit bigger but the knife that I am really excited about for opening packaging and some specific uses I have it for is the Spyderco Cricket. I don't know about tuff but it is fantastic and a unique innovative knife. Slays those tuff plastic product packages without raising an eye brow.

A great companion to a large knife

Hey MT!
The Manbug is literally tiny! Here it is next to a 940.
I tied a silly & large lanyard on it to help with grip. Believe it or not......it is one tough and competent knife! Only thing I don't like about it is the blade steel. VG 10 isn't one of my favorites. Not a deal breaker though.
Joe

Thanks Joe.
VG10 isn't my favourite either. One of the things I like about Fallkies is the 3G steel. Which I think has an SG2 core. It's good stuff.

Funny I should see your thread just now. More honkin' pocket knives have been my focus for quite a while but while I was ordering my latest fixed blade I was toying with the idea of ordering a second Cold Steel Super Edge and grinding off the Super edge to make the KNIFE more super. Poor Cold Steel it seems I am picking on them but I'm not really. I love their handles but . . . it seems . . . I am always taking their blades to the power grinder.

What now ! . . . I hear the boys saying . . . God ! Can't he just buy a nice knife and simply use the thing without all "THIS" . . . ? ? ? ? . . .:confused: !

Funny you guys should ask. I cut up a plastic carbonated water bottle the other day and all I could think while I was doing it was "wouldn't this little Super Edge knife feel so much better doing this if the serrations/teeth were gone and if the freakin bevel was on the CORRECT SIDE for a right handed person or just regular knife edge rather than chisel ground".

Then today I was thinking . . . hey . . . I could easily have that !
What of the position of the edge in relation to the handle after the awful deed was done though ? Then . . . why not . . . go for it.

I may

Anyway Seery . . . there is always a Super Edge.

Poor Cold Steel; I'm always messing with their stuff.

At least they did a good job on their Cinnamon Roll Knife and that's important to me.

PS: Oops; just saw you like the serrated. I have been told the Spyderco serrated are much better than the others. At this juncture I have no Spydey serrated yet. Not disin' your serrated.

Last edited:
A lot of great suggestions, and I appreciate every one of them.

Wonder how the Tuff Lite mini would carry in the pocket with the clip removed?

IMG_20160920_200641.jpg

IMG_20160920_200900.jpg

There's also this little unloved guy, the Hawkpoint Blackhawk. Apparently, it's been out for awhile but didn't get much, or any attention. It's not bad. Made in Taiwan, like the SunCom, and pretty much identical in build. Likely from the same company. The blade, though, is twice as thick, almost 2.5 mm, like standard blade thickness, or same thickness as a Grip.

Best of all, it's now going for like $15 because it was so unloved, when it apparently was going for $40 many moons ago. $20 is about right, being the same as the Subco that goes for $20.

The bottom one is the very rare Al Mar Bulldog with custom pen clip. Booyah.

Wonder how the Tuff Lite mini would carry in the pocket with the clip removed?

if you can find one to buy really great. It doesn't weigh much. No sharp corners except maybe right where the jimping on the blade ends and butts up against the handle when open but mine is rounded off pretty well.

As far as one hand opening the Mini is pretty tricky to open and taking off the clip might make it worse. I have never taken the clip off of this knife. As I always say : It I went a year without opening my Dragonfly I could pick it up and open it one handed without a thought. The Mini, even after going only an month I have to really focus, hold my tung just right and even then have to change my grip and relearn it. The best I can say is that it can be done with practice. On the positive side I have the same problem with the Spyderco Cricket and it is one of my favorite knives; I just open it two hands like a slip joint so you may find you like the Mini so well you won't mind two handing it.

One thing to know about the Tuff lite Mini is the spring in the lock release is pretty strong and as with all of the Cold Steels I have it doesn't release until you push it all the way down and then close your eyes and give it that last ditch effort with all your might. I may be exaggerating just a little but not by much. I find my self pushing against it with the bony side of my index finger rather than the soft pad of my thumb just so I can press the thing in far enough. If you see what I mean. You can take the knife apart and if you are mechanically talented take a diamond file to the latch to make it friendly which I have done with all my other Cold Steel Triad locks but never made the time to do this to the Mini. In use though it is a brilliant little knife and the handle is great; good steel; I'm glad I bought it. It was my very first pocket clip knife.

Back