How To AO plus wave opening ? What will happen ?

Your knife, your risk. It’ll also be your guess as to when it’ll come open or how fast or if you’ll drop it and slice a toe off or stab your thigh on the way out of your pocket.

Go for it. :thumbsup:
:p Thanks for inspiring my already shaky confidence in this endeavor ! :rolleyes:

I've got a Cold Steel Swift 2 coming . :)

If it seems stable enough to carry without engaging the safety , I plan to try out a Snaggletooth wave opening aftermarket mod on it . :eek:

Is that wrong ? :confused:

https://www.coldsteel.com/swift2.html

What will happen? My guess is you'll have wasted a spring.

I've never seen a waved knife partially deploy when used as intended. The concept is akin to using an 18 wheeler to transport your couch... overkill.

What will happen? My guess is you'll have wasted a spring.

I've never seen a waved knife partially deploy when used as intended. The concept is akin to using an 18 wheeler to transport your couch... overkill.
Partial or simply failed deployment is still a low percentage occurrence for me after many years of practice . My usual backup is to simply and automatically use an inertial / gravity opening .

But I am curious as to how the Swift will work with a wave mod .

I'm fully cognizant that this may not be workable . o_O

That comes across as foolhardy at best. You could end up stabbing yourself.
Just because you can, doesnt mean you should (and why on earth would you).
Well ...simple curiosity .

I'm not normally very foolhardy and plan to proceed with all due caution . Safety first ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Actually , I was hoping to hear from some other idi...uh ,rather , brave soul who has already tried this or similar . ;)

I’d say try it. May be overkill as stated, but it’s true that backlocks are harder to wave reliably than liner/frame locks.

At least the assist spring will keep the blade going instead of closing back up like a “mis-waved” backlock. I’ve had a waved recon 1 close back up and cut me a bit.

If you’re pulling the knife out and away from your body, as is normal with a waved knife, I think it will be fine. Keep us updated should you decide to do it.

It seems like a bad idea. Not because of the low risk of stabbing yourself in the leg, but due to the high risk that the knife won't open properly and you'll cut your fingers.
Think about it: with a manual wave the blade is pulled open by the pocket material pulling on the hook, so it doesn't fully open until the blade has cleared the pocket. But with a spring assist, once the blade is 30% open the spring will pop the blade out, creating the potential for it to hit the pocket and bounce back to half closed -- just enough for you to stab your fingers as you shift your grip to what you think will be an opened knife. Maybe it will work some of the time, but the first time it doesn't you'll be tossing the knife in the trash ( as soon as you've stopped the bleeding).

It seems like a bad idea. Not because of the low risk of stabbing yourself in the leg, but due to the high risk that the knife won't open properly and you'll cut your fingers.
Think about it: with a manual wave the blade is pulled open by the pocket material pulling on the hook, so it doesn't fully open until the blade has cleared the pocket. But with a spring assist, once the blade is 30% open the spring will pop the blade out, creating the potential for it to hit the pocket and bounce back to half closed, just enough for you to stab your fingers as you shift your grip to what you think will be an opened knife.
Yes . It's exactly those thoughts that gives me pause .

Just to test things out first , I'll probably set up some "pocket " that's NOT on the clothes I'm wearing and wear some heavy gloves . Maybe tape the blade edge .

Honestly , not trying to hurt myself . I'm going to use this knife as normal for some time to get some feeling for how it works . If it doesn't seem feasible to wave it safely , I will not proceed . If it opens very early and with great force , it just may not be worthwhile to even try .

:( Did more research on the Swift , including this :

Seems like waving this thing would be just asking to have it open in pocket . No real detent except some friction . I guess CS added a safety in 2016 for a good reason . I'll probably use the safety and forget the wave . I keep remembering all those Kershaw Leek horror stories of scrotal havoc . :eek::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

:( Did more research on the Swift , including this :

Seems like waving this thing would be just asking to have it open in pocket . No real detent except some friction . I guess CS added a safety in 2016 for a good reason . I'll probably use the safety and forget the wave . I keep remembering all those Kershaw Leek horror stories of scrotal havoc . :eek::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Do it

I'm all for experimentation especially when it doesn't cost me a dime. :p

Good luck and keep us posted.

I had a waved Delica. Tore up my darn pockets playing with the deployment. YMMV

Your knife, your risk. It’ll also be your guess as to when it’ll come open or how fast or if you’ll drop it and slice a toe off or stab your thigh on the way out of your pocket.

Go for it. :thumbsup:

I got my toe stabbed by a pm2 the other day. It's a dangerous world.

I'm all for experimentation especially when it doesn't cost me a dime. :p

Good luck and keep us posted.

I had a waved Delica. Tore up my darn pockets playing with the deployment. YMMV
With Spydies , I just use a zip tie or 3 and don't have any clothing malfunctions ! :p

Back