Apocalypse Chopper # 3 “Judgement Day”

My Dad had a WWII USMC Bolo Knife that he brought back from Korea. Heavy and round ended, as kids we killed hundreds of Poison Oak vines, batoned firewood for campfires, it accompanied us every fishing trip and we genuinely abused it for years. The only problem was the handle which ended up wrapped with leather, glue and electrical tape. It needed an unbreakable socket handle to stand up to the young demons that tortured it, but I always loved the blade style.
This is my interpretation of what could be done with minimum tools and materials readily available after the Apocalypse, I call this one “Judgement Day”

Steel from Diamond Rio truck leaf spring, forged in a homemade charcoal forge
Hot cut and filed. No electricity used. Quenched in brine water and tempered on the forge.
Socket handled with shellacked leather thong wrapping and a little braided lanyard.
17″ overall w/ 11″ sharpened
Sheath is from a leather clothes bag, Hardened with hot water and sunshine, stitched with linen and the “Mexican” style belt hanger is from an old horse harness w/ an antler button. All finished with shellac.
I batoned this one threw a stick of firewood just for old times sake…..Randy

judge1.jpg

judge2.jpg

judge3.jpg

judge4.jpg

judge5.jpg

I love your stuff Randy, soooo cool. That sheath is kinda formal looking for you ;-))) Great package bud.

Best regards

Robin

This would have been a better blade for Denzel in the Book of Eli. Another great piece Randy. Robin is right about the sheath.

It look's Indestuctible, Real nice Socket Handled Bolo & Sheath made the Old School way, Good Job !

Thanks Gentlemen. And the sheath is very simple, I remember Dad's Bolo as having a simple leather sheath with a wire hanger that fit in the holes of his Military issue belt. The same belt that was very familiar with MY south end............Randy
I don't know what happened to his but here is a pic of one.
bolo.jpg

By the time we ( 3 boys) grew up it had been sharpened into a big recurve ......Randy

That looks extremely rugged. It would certainly come in handy when it all hits the fan.

That thing looks awesome how do you forge something like that could you pm me instructions.

Thanks MossyHorn

Very simple Kilroy, Beat and beat, heat and beat, File and heat and beat, hot cut, file, heat and beat. The socket handle is just practice, need to get the iron about 3 in. wide before you start the roll and kind of triangular shaped. Then heat, beat and file some more. I have about 6 hours of just hot work in this one. It is not for the timid.... or the smart. Every one is my last..Every day I'm going to buy a grinder.... till I get out to the forge and the extent of the noise is the grinding of a hand cranked blower, ringing of the hammer and the crackling of charcoal..... and it's where I'm supposed to be (tissue please)...........Randy

Thanks, the product is quite literally amazing, and if I had the money I would buy it in a heartbeat. Alas no but keep up the good work.

Randy....Its a real Beastly Beauty....like the sheath also...Great work !

It's an aqesome piece.

And although plenty of people around me think I'm nuts for doing so, but I use it on a regular basis. :)

regards,

Aleks

Cool stuff, dude! Makes me think of Stormcrow's bush swords if one of them had a baby with a WW2 British bolo. :D

I love the "production" axes, etc, however my true love has to lie with this type work and the recreation of old style hawks such as those produced by Randy and Robin and others.

Howard

Back