Apple Cider Vinegar

Have any of you used Apple Cider Vinegar to clean your knives? I've used it a couple times on my knives and it made it shine really well, however I'm a little edgy about using it alot because I'm not sure if it will damage my knife. Anyone have any thoughts? Also I want to know how to clean a knife with a black finish, thanks.

Never use vinegar on carbon steel knives. It will discolor them.

I'm not sure what your goal is. If you want to polish the knife, then a polish like Flitz will work very well. If you want to clean you can forget everything you learned and do what I do. I put the folder folded in a pants pocket that is going in the wash. After washing and drying it is as clean as a whistle. I give the pivot a drop of oil and I'm good to go. No, I'm not kidding.

I've found a soak in ACV removes staining from ZDP-189 and gives a slight patina. Did have one small problem though, caused heavy oxidation near the tang. Not quite sure why?

DSCF1250-1.jpg

Washin the knife? No kiddin', I never would have thought. How would that do on folders that have wood finish? Well I was hoping to polish the blade so that they look brand newish, so I suppose I'll have to buy a polisher of some sort. Thanks for all the input :)

Back