Applegate-Fairbairn Deserves A Better Sheath

I own an A-F 12 standard knife and that cheesy, noisy Velcro-strapped, "durable Cordura" nylon sheath just doesn't cut it. I recently found it had even started a rust dot where the oiled spine was in contact with the pressboard (?) inner liner! I'd like to see a black Kydex or other synthetic fitted sheath with a traditional [and quieter] thumbsnap retention strap. I tried to aftermarket-order the A-F 543 DES's tan Kydex sheath from Magnum last year, which at least would've been a step in the right direction, but I received - ANOTHER "durable Cordura" standard sheath instead. Sigh. I returned it and am still frustrated that I can't find a fit & proper housing for my Applegate-Fairbairn. -Nate

We have kydex available for the A-F 12.
It is the regular black jump sheath, if that's what you
would like. Did you receive a refund when you sent your
sheath back?
Unfortunately, that model only comes stock with the Cordura. The
A-F 11 comes with the kydex sheath standard.
Thanks, TJT
Sorry for the edit, I messed up while posting this.

Yes thanks, TJT, I received a refund with no problem. It was a bit of a pain having to send it back as I thought I'd made it clear to the order gal that I didn't want another standard nylon sheath. Anyway ... past history. I'm not crazy about the "click hold" approach of the A-F 11's sheath. What's wrong with an all-Kydex, or Kydex insert/ballistic nylon sheath with a good quality snap, conventional handle security strap, which can be eased off quietly? The A-F is good enough in & of itself not to need gimmick-y sheath concepts.

The only answer I have for that one is, it is designed to be "jump safe"
for airborne duty.
Most of our sales on that model are to military, our military suppliers, like AAFES and the like.
I took the step of having an after market kydex made for it, in the design of the boot knife sheath.
But, I am a picky one when it comes to my sheaths.
Take care, Terry

I second that! The cordura sheath doesn't do justice to such a beautiful dagger as the A-F. When I got mine "brand new-outta da box" a couple of years back, I was shocked to see the edges of the cordura material fraying along the side edges of on the strap retainer. Worst was finding less than perfect workmanship in regards to the gluing (used to affix the cordura on to the leather base). Mine had smearmarks on someparts of the cordura material, when it shouldn't have shown. Nevermind that, it was sticky to the extend that it picked up fine stuff like some dirt magnet. Needless to say, I wasn't about to let that bit of a let down, spoil my overall respect for the splendid workmanship of the knife itself. In short, I went about shopping for a sheath which fitted my idea of what quality ought to be like. Been satisfied since then. It about time that the A-F deserves an upgrade in the sheathing system.

Back