Apropos of Nothing.

The ABC, (here in Oz), just ran a poll to find out what Australian's favourite book is. Thousands of people sent in their favourites and it was eventually narrowed down to 3 and then 1.

In order, they are:

Lord of the Rings
Pride & Prejudice
The Bible

A little disappointing for me personally to see the bible up there in the top three but entirely predictable. I was pleased to see LOTR up there.

Just thought you'd like to know.

While looking over the shelves at a typical mall "gift store", I recall thinking about some far-future archeaologist excavating this place.
The conclusion would have been that the three dieties worshipped by 20th century Americans were Jesus, John Wayne, and Elvis.

mwerner said:
While looking over the shelves at a typical mall "gift store", I recall thinking about some far-future archeaologist excavating this place.
The conclusion would have been that the three dieties worshipped by 20th century Americans were Jesus, John Wayne, and Elvis.

Especially if they hit the Kinky Friedman shelf in the mysteries. Among his book titles are Elvis, Jesus, and Coca Cola and God Bless John Wayne.

Not too far off, really.

James

The Bible has been at the top of the best seller lists for hundreds of years.

I am not so sure that is appropos of nothing :D.

Bastid said:
The Bible has been at the top of the best seller lists for hundreds of years.

I am not so sure that is appropos of nothing :D.
True, it has, but this survey was not so much how many of the books had been sold but which was your favourite book to read, not necessarily the same thing.

gajinoz said:
True, it has, but this survey was not so much how many of the books had been sold but which was your favourite book to read, not necessarily the same thing.

BEWARE. God is being driven out. Next will be bible burning. Shades of Nazi Germany ?
What else, replacing our Stars & Stripes with the U.N. flag?

Give me a break.

Uncle Alan

uncle Alan said:
BEWARE. God is being driven out. Next will be bible burning. Shades of Nazi Germany ?
What else, replacing our Stars & Stripes with the U.N. flag?

Give me a break.

Uncle Alan
God being driven out?
Bible burning?
Nazi Germany?

All this because a few people wrote in to a TV station and voted for their favourite book?

Obviously I've missed something here!

gajinoz said:
A little disappointing for me personally to see the bible up there in the top three but entirely predictable. I was pleased to see LOTR up there.
As time goes on you may find that regular folks react pretty much the same way to both bible thumpers and bible bashers. I try to steer clear of either philosophy, myself. :)

TorzJohnson said:
As time goes on you may find that regular folks react pretty much the same way to both bible thumpers and bible bashers. I try to steer clear of either philosophy, myself. :)
I would agree with you. I also tend to think that a lot of folks see conspiracies where none exist too. Such is life! :rolleyes:

gajinoz said:
I would agree with you. I also tend to think that a lot of folks see conspiracies where none exist too. Such is life! :rolleyes:
BTW when is the next meeting of the Stonecutters?
stoneCutterHomer.jpg

Back