Arc Lock failure rate -- any stats?

Good post, cpirtle. It's funny how 2 or 3 complaints about broken springs turns into Benchmade bashing. Some people expect perfect locking mechanisms on knives everytime, but they fail to realize that when you deal with moving parts there is always a chance of mechanical failure even on the most expensive custom models. This does not mean that it happens all the time, but it can happen. Hence, this is why we have warranties. Can you imagine the thousands of springs that go through the factory's assembly area? Even the best quality control cannot prevent the chance that 1 or 2 faulty springs out of a thousand may slip by. This is no reason to assume that the manufacturer's knives are crap. If they have a warranty and stand behind their products, I would rather send a defective knife back to a reputable manufacturer for replacement or repair than buy a knife with no warranty.

Someone should take a poll on how many people don't have problems with the locking mechanisms like the Axis, Arc-lock or Ultra lock their folders and I can guarantee you that they will outweigh the ones who do have complaints. Yes, it's frustrating to buy a knife you really look forward to and then it ends up defective when you first use it, but here's the bottom line: If you have a defective knife, stop crying about it, stop being cheap and send your knife back to the factory. Heck, if you can spend $150-$200 average on a production folder, shipping costs aren't going to kill you.

Originally posted by waynejitsu
cpitle,

IMO, you have a hypocritical attitude when it comes to other people...
not trying to bash or flame, just an observation...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=228167

hypocrite

n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that they do not hold [syn: dissembler, phony, phony]

Wayne, are you sure that is what you mean?

My problem with Spyderco was one where I sent in a knife for repair, was treated badly during the process, and got the knife back with no repairs rendered.

A. No one here or in the other thread has sent their knife in for repair and was denied service or otherwise treated poorly.

B. I never told Spyderco they need a redesign of their product lock, I just felt I got a bad one.

C. How can you say that by dragging up an old thread that has no relevance to the current conversation not trying to bash or flame?

The only thing I can see in that thread that paralleled this conversation is that there were people there that I disagreed with as well.

If your definition of hypocritical is not changing my opinion because one or two people disagree with it, then I guess I am now and forever will be a hypocrit.

Oddly enough, I seem to remember you agreeing with me in that thread, but now you don't agree with me, does that not make you "hypocritical" as well? :rolleyes:

you are correct, i did agree with you about quality control.
i have the SAME PROBLEM, quality control. i am not going to argue with you, i could care less what you think. i posted my opinions and you posted your opinions, on both threads. my objective of posting the other thread was this..., you had a problem, i understood your frustration..., i had a problem, similar(qualiy control), you no longer understand.
after a couple of hours of work, i repaired the NEW CUSTOM ORDERED, HAND BUILT KNIFE. when paying a PREMIUM, i expect BETTER service, quality and function, from ANY company. if i do not get what i pay for, i no longer give that company my business, there are LOTS of knife makers out there that appreciate my patronage and that is where my cash will go...

end of story:)

Originally posted by waynejitsu
you are correct, i did agree with you about quality control.
i have the SAME PROBLEM, quality control. i am not going to argue with you, i could care less what you think. i posted my opinions and you posted your opinions, on both threads. my objective of posting the other thread was this..., you had a problem, i understood your frustration..., i had a problem, similar(qualiy control), you no longer understand.
after a couple of hours of work, i repaired the NEW CUSTOM ORDERED, HAND BUILT KNIFE. when paying a PREMIUM, i expect BETTER service, quality and function, from ANY company. if i do not get what i pay for, i no longer give that company my business, there are LOTS of knife makers out there that appreciate my patronage and that is where my cash will go...

end of story:)

Wayne, I mean this in the most sincere way possible but you have gone off the deep end, sorry. You need to get back on your prozac or something..

All I did was suggest that you be open to another Emerson before you stop buying them all together. I have nothing to do with the rest of your rant aside from the fact that I can say I understand your frustration, but it happens from every company.

Originally posted by el cid
Good post, cpirtle. It's funny how 2 or 3 complaints about broken springs turns into Benchmade bashing. Some people expect perfect locking mechanisms on knives everytime, but they fail to realize that when you deal with moving parts there is always a chance of mechanical failure even on the most expensive custom models.

El cid,

If that's the only impression you got from my posts, then you completely missed the point...and I'm talking by a long shot. Please re-read them again in detail. Better yet, go to the general forum and read my last post in the Broken 710 Spring started by Baraqyl.

Nobody was bashing Benchmade. It's not about bashing anyone or expecting perfection. My big mistake was that I aimed this conversation to potentially the wrong audience since some of you do not possess the academic background in macroeconomics, organizational theory, and business management. Unless you know these topics, it's very difficult to grasp what I'm talking about.

Not a diss to anyone here. It's just that one has to talk to the level of the audience. That's where I made the mistake. Some of those who may have studied these topics understood although they may not have necessarily agreed (e.g. Bobby B). Others just incorrectly assumed that I was merely bashing Benchmade and this led to an unnecessary flaming war where people stopped reading what everyone else's posts said, and just started READING IN things into people's posts.

The conversations were doomed from the start since everyone's knowledge base of different topics differs here. I guess never discuss politics, religion, and now add theories in organizational structure!

BTW, Cpirtle and I came to an understanding after I clarified things at the general forum as I made it apparent that I was speaking philosophically and from a theory standpoint. Therefore, there is no right or wrong to agree or disagree. It is what it is.

The fundamental problem here was that people -- including myself -- were getting defensive and more concerned with winning an argument (perhaps when there's nothing to argue about) rather than trying to understand one another. You can't have an intelligent conversation when this happens.

As I've said, I have yet to disagree with anyone's opinion here and appreciate both diverging and converging opinions. That leads to learning new things. I just want to make sure YOU understand what I'm saying which is why I'm obsessive about trying to get my point across.

Cpirtle summed it up best when he said you can't have a meaningful conversation through threads. Meanings and intentions get lost in a barrage of words, ambiguous semantics, and syntax going back and forth.

I guess Marshall McLuhan was right when he said, "The medium is the message."

Back