Are all arts the same?

Perhaps only the way of practice is different.

I have met samuri masters, Filipino Masters and Grand Masters, and at the time of the incident, everything was the same, I wondered what happened. With all that I thought I new, one day while working the knife with Grand Master 'Juni' Canete, I was dumbfounded as to what was happening.

In Hawaii I was tied up in a knot by the late Grand Master Pedoy Robablo. It didn't matter what style a master does the conflict is finished, 1, 2, 3.

All roads lead to Rome, or paths to the top of the mountain. We've heard it a dozen times, in many schools of thought.

As "Eddie" Suryadi Jafri would say, "a punch is a punch, it means nothing, unless you can make it work. The secret is how to practice." I quite agree.

All arts are the same, you wish to out balance me, take me to the ground or not, finish.

In Kali Silat, you see the art for real, when you don't know what happened!

Yeah all arts are the same, but the way of practice is different, n'cest pa?

------------------
P. Greg Alland, Master Kali Silat, SinaTirsiaWali at www.KaliSilat.com or www.PekitiTirsia.com

MasGuru,

I agree that there are only so many ways to throw a strike, toss an opponent, and manipulate his body. And, the way these different arts train the arts does differentiate them from each other.

But, I also feel that some other things come into play.. such as the arts focus and strategy. For example... I would argue that Aikido's and Muay Thai's fighting mentality are pretty different.

I guess you could argue that the way you fight is the way you train(which is correct!). But, I like to think in that you decide on a strategy... THEN you base your practice on that strategy(not the other way around
smile.gif
). Maybe this is just an argument of semantics.... But hey.. I figure... what the heck.. it's a discussion forum!

Thanks for posting here!

Mabuhay ang eskrima!
~Kev

Thank you ~kev
This is a great thing, forum. Discovered in the days of Plato it was a way of using the understand of many for the accomplishment of all.

As regards to strategy, the imagination is taxed, to respond to stimuli.

Someone once gave me a lesson, I won't say who, after I scored, using his technique, he quipped, "I was just thinking of that". It was such a god awful technique, I couldn't believe it hit the target. But I remembered those words, when it happened again. Stop thinking, I thought. So at the confrontation, I try not to think about the strategy either. I must have made those decisions before my practice. At the incidient I must be able to go with it, flow and protect myself, and finish! Whitout hesitation, without thought!

Grand Master 'Nene' also always talked about using the stragegy as a means, it's not a sport, "like martial arts has become in America", he would say. Probably from hearing about the tournaments. Anyway, he insists on using the term, "survival arts". And, I agree we must use the science, focus, breathing, meditation, and stragegy as you say, before the practice.

When I was 16, I too was searching, but I come from an Italian background, I wanted it all. I didn't want to go to the karate for punching, aido for the blade, judo for the throwing, wrestling for the grapling, etc., I wanted one that had it all.

And as time went on, I didn't want to associate with, "martial arts" either, in Kali-Silat we see the science, the strategy, live, is to life, without planning your survival, your life, what good is it. Be all you can be, use what's inside, for all of the arts are there too! It's not about being tough, it's about being the best 'you' are.

Mabuhay ang Filipino

------------------
P. Greg Alland, Master Kali Silat, SinaTirsiaWali at www.KaliSilat.com or www.PekitiTirsia.com

Are all cats the same? Isn't a cat just a cat? The incredible varieties within 'sameness' is a wonder to me.

------------------
The Fighting Old Man

Back