Are All Non-Letter Stamped Blades Either ATS34 or BG42?

It's been my experience that ATS34 and BG42 blades have no markings on them. S30V has an "S" and S35VN has a "V" marked on them.

My question is: if a blade is not marked with S nor V, does that mean it must be ATS34 or BG42? And from there, is it safe to assume based on the model, which steel it is?

For example, I have a Mnandi with no letter markings on the blade. There are no ATS34 mnandis since the timelines don't match up, so does that mean it's guaranteed to be BG42? Or is it possible that it's an unstamped S30V blade?

I also have a Classic that is unstamped of letters, so I assume it must be BG42. Is there any chance it's S30V with an unstamped blade?

Best to ask CRK. My understanding is the same as what you outlined, “S” stamp for S30V and “V” stamp for S35VN, everything else is BG-42 or ATS-34. This excludes the OPK, damascus, and other handmades. e.g. @RyanRaben has a very special #3 in an exotic steel.

Yours is the most likely scenario , though it is always possible for a blade to get through without being stamped. If all else fits -birthcards, scale stamps and models I would presume the no stamp to be ATS-34 or BG-42.
In other words if you have a 21 with an un-marked blade it is not going to be BG-42, because non had it
If you have a very early Classic MM it should be BG-42 if un-marked
Blades that failed to be stamped I am sure are extremely rare(to say the least), but I have seen scales without the trademark R, so I feel they are possible

Last edited:
It's been my experience that ATS34 and BG42 blades have no markings on them. S30V has an "S" and S35VN has a "V" marked on them.

My question is: if a blade is not marked with S nor V, does that mean it must be ATS34 or BG42? And from there, is it safe to assume based on the model, which steel it is?

For example, I have a Mnandi with no letter markings on the blade. There are no ATS34 mnandis since the timelines don't match up, so does that mean it's guaranteed to be BG42? Or is it possible that it's an unstamped S30V blade?

I also have a Classic that is unstamped of letters, so I assume it must be BG42. Is there any chance it's S30V with an unstamped blade?

What are the date codes of your Classic?

Oh wow! So my BG42 Mnandi really is rare according to that timeline! Mnandis introduced in 2001 and the switch to S30V occurred in Jan 2002! Sweet!!

Show that Mnandi!
I will as soon as it gets back from CRK! I picked it up in a trade but the seller didn't know which wood and no birth card. Nothing was wrong with it, but I sent it in for a replacement birth card trying to identify which wood it was. They spoiled the surprise by emailing me and told it's bocote! :) But no pics for another few weeks.

Holy shit! A Bocote BG42! You’re talkin my language

I will as soon as it gets back from CRK! I picked it up in a trade but the seller didn't know which wood and no birth card. Nothing was wrong with it, but I sent it in for a replacement birth card trying to identify which wood it was. They spoiled the surprise by emailing me and told it's bocote! :) But no pics for another few weeks.

Knives like the ubejane are A2 tool steel, impofu are 3V stainless steel... not sure if the blade steel is marked somehow on these knives

Back