Are butterfly knives good for outdoor use

Hey backpacker, keep in mind that you will get into a heap of trouble if you get caught wit one in CA. But I suggest the ones from Bear Cuttlery. Some people here like them, others hate them. I think that they are good for a mid range user.

The balisong design is an excellent choice for hiking, backpacking, camping, etc. since when locked open it is virtually as strong as a fixed blade (lock failures, which plague even the best quality examples of every other lock design available, are virtually unheard of in quality balisongs). On the other hand, the balisong not only locks open, but it also locks closed. Accidental deployment is unheard of. When closed, the balisong's handles completely enclose the blade for safe carry and storage. And, if you get one with skeletonized handles, they dry out very well so they're great for rafting etc.

Finally, a balisong can be deployed with one hand if necessary.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

Backpacker, I just brought my BM 42 with me last weekend on a camping trip on the NJ/PA border. As far as utility goes, you could find a blade design that does a better job. I shaved wood for kindling, cut some small twine/string, and stuff like that. Nothing real major. I just don't think that weehawk design is very good for general work. The Bear on the other hand, seems to have better geometery, from when I remember handling it last. I don't know how well it would hold up for you. I've never owned one before. Most people say the handles will break. Bottom line is, I don't think the weehawk blade design is well suited for outdoor use. You could get away with it, but you'd be compromising, IMO. Have fun!

------------------
Steve
(Third Mate for hire!)

Epigram, if a weehawk is not really good to be used, can you suggest what is good? I am not challenging your opinion, but since I don't own a BM42 or a Bear, I can't compare.

Will a PC International utility blade work better? They are thick though, about 3/16".

For outdoor use,the usual types that are best for all-around utility are Bowie,Drop Point and Utility styles.A Mariner style is good for boating,since it has no point..just an edge.
I have always carried my balisongs when camping.At one time,I attempted to see just what I could do for survival if all I had was a balisong.The area where I was at at the time had no good deadfall that I could use for building a structure,so I had to chop branches that were over an inch in diameter to use for the shelter.The knife I used was an old Valor "Ninja",Model 527.It held up extremely well.It took a little while to get enough branches cut,but it did the job.
Too bad I no longer have that one.I traded it back in the mid 80's for a Taylor/Seto with a fake weehawk blade.I still have this one,although the handles are almost completely broken and the blade is a lot thinner than it should be.It's taken many years of abuse & usage...and is now retired.I still don't know exactly what model it was..but it served me well over the years.

------------------
*The* Lunatic Puppy
It wasn't me...It was my *good* twin..
My "inner puppy" made me do it..

Chris, I think that a utility, bowie, or drop point(as MacCaine suggested) would be much better. Something with a deeper belly and a higher grind would be the two factors, I think, that would improve the performance.

------------------
Steve
(Third Mate for hire!)

Steve, I don't want to be irritating, but, as far as I understand it, a weehawk is actually a utility having the swedge ground on.
The only thing I can guess makes it less than a true utility is the tip strength, as it will definitely much thinner.
I have an PC international series with utility blade and a weehawk one, and cannot say the main edge is much different one from each other.
Correct me if I am wrong, since I am learning much from you, and everyone else here .. my argument is meant only to understand better.

BTW, thanks for your clue on hardness the other day. Really appreciate it. Is there anyway I can get my 420 cheap rostfrei edge harder by myself
smile.gif
?

Chris, I'll try to explain myself a little better. Ok, as you look at the blade of a 42 from the side, look at the edge. Now, as you look at the edge and move your eye towards the spine, you'll notice that the blade reaches its widest point somewhere around the middle. Your utility blade(like most kitchen knives) reaches its widest point at the spine. It is ground all the way to the top; like the spyderco military. That's where the difference is. I belive it's called a V-grind. You take that, give the blade a nice deep belly, put two handles on it and you've got yourself one great backpacking knife. Just my opinion. By the way, you're not being irritating at all. I like discussing this stuff. I'm always trying to learn, just as you are. I might not be correct either! Of course, I can't remember ever being wrong! Let me know what you think.

------------------
Steve
(Third Mate for hire!)

Steve,

It's really nice talking like this. I got your point. If the V grind reaches the spine vs V grind reaches only halfway, the first edge will have sharper angle. I Fully Agree!!

However, since the utility of my PC International doesn't reach to the spine (you can check at Dawkind's Photopoint album) and compare to the weehawk is almost the same, it doesn't differ much. So I think the PC International utility is not 100% utility
wink.gif
. If you look at PC 3 series, the utility is truly utility according to your description.

Now, for camping/outdoor use, why do we need V grind? I don't really camp, so I can't tell
wink.gif

How about for chopping of the BG's weapon hand off, which grind is better?
biggrin.gif

Back