Are CPM 154 and CPM D2 worth the higher prices over 154cm and plain old D2?

I know there's a difference and that the CPM versions are finer grained in structure and are slightly superior in edge retention, but are they really worth the higher pricetag?

I think the main benefit of the finer structure is toughness, not edge retention. Someone more familiar with metallurgy can provide a better answer - I'm sure Larrin Larrin has a link on the subject. In general, though, my understanding is that the smaller carbides in the PM version are less likely to chip out, letting you get sharper edges that are less prone to taking damage.

Depending on the material you're cutting, that may or may not translate to longer edge retention, based on if the material is wearing away the steel itself, or knocking out carbide structures.

The price difference in knives using A vs B is likely that higher end products are using the "nicer" CPM variants so they are more expensive in general.

the real answer, of course, depends on the situation:

if you're going to spend many hours hand crafting the knife, the steel choice is a small % of the overall cost - and easily worth it (imho)

if you're talking about a mass produced machine/automation setup, the steel choice is a much larger % (since other costs are much lower) - so, not really worth it

...some pm steel is much tougher (like double in some cases) than the non-pm version, read Larrin Larrin 's blog/website

I will go with CPM154 on fixed blades, but for folders I don’t care.

D2 is not for fixed blade to me, so don’t care on folders as well.

I doubt the person using the knife would tell much of a difference between them in an edc role. If the edge geometry, heat treat, etc were exactly the same, the CPM blades would probably hold up better if someone intentionally tried to dull the edge by pushing them to their limit in cardboard, carpet, or rope cutting tests. Like I said earlier, in an edc role, you shouldn’t have issues with any of them.

Yes, I prefer the finer grain idea. I polish my own edges and I've found that I can generate a mirror finish easier on the bevel--which translates into the same keen condition of the edge.

For those who don't know, that name of "CPM" means the 'P' stands for 'particle.' I remeber when knife enthusiasts were taking quality cameras and photographing the edges of knives. These edges looked like a layer of broken glass.

Back