1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are desiccant packs for storage necessary?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Hermit_Knight, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:17 PM.

1. Hermit_Knight

Hermit_Knight

Mar 19, 2018
    Im storing a few stainless (S35vn) knives in a plastic tool box they are in kydex sheaths and have been coated with marine tuff cloth and are in a cool dry area. They won’t be used for a year or two. Are desiccant packs needed too or would it be overkill? Thanks.

2. brando555

brando555 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2018
    It's pretty much overkill at that point with s35vn, but if you have a few extra dessicant packs it won't hurt anything either.

GABaus and Hermit_Knight like this.
  3. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss

Mar 3, 2015
    Won't hurt, if you have them laying around might as well.

Hermit_Knight likes this.
  4. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I use desiccant packs in my storage. Overkill? Maybe. But I also have HC steels in there too. Better to be safe then sorry. I found most of my packs in amazon boxes or stuff I bought at stores.

5. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2018
    Used packs are not good, as they can absorb like 40% of their weight of humidity, most of the one found in packaging are already full and wont take more or are not going to last long.

Brand new ones are around 5 bucks for 20 pack on amazon. And this is good only if your container is airtight and you don't open it. If you open the box the pack must be replaced.

6. Dfunk1210

Dfunk1210

Apr 7, 2015
    I actually never noticed this. How can you tell when one is used up?

7. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2018
    There is no way to know, except if you have the weight it have when it's new and it will go up to 140% of it's original weight. Assuming the relative humidity normally in the air. A fresh open pack will last couple minutes before it's soaked. They are made to promply remove humidity after packaging but are limited to very little quantity of water they can hold.

Dfunk1210 likes this.
  8. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    Look into Eva-Dry it's a reuable moisture absorber. A bit more pricey at $15 though.

9. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    I have the reusable packs with colored beads. They change color when they are full. Pop 'em in the microwave and they are good to go again. I bought a bag of 20 packs or something and they should last me a long time inside airtight containers.