Are Emerson liner locks that bad ?

Gang I have to say that if you REALLY have concerns about lock failure, get a friction folder. YOU are the lock!
I know the limits of all knife locks and use caution always. When I use my friction folder, the only way I'll get cut, is by my failure with the knife.

How true. Granpa didn't evenknow what a locking blade was, and he had all his fingers.

I'm tellin ya Gang... American Kami has a BAD friction folder and I have one on order. Red handle, of course. :cool:

I handed out the CQC7's to numerous a navy diver, and they tortured the knives like, well, like they were free!

They would snap them open, use them as pry bars, have knife throwing contests, and all other sorts of things not condusive to keeping your knife in good condition.

Other than than snapping a few blades and destroying the micarta handles by opening beer bottles, they never managed to get a liner lock to fail.

I've been carrying the same one for quite a while (it's actually a Benchmade/Emerson CQC7), and it still locks up ~30-40%.

Ernie's earned my business again, even if I do have to pay for them myself now.

I handed out the CQC7's to numerous a navy diver, and they tortured the knives like, well, like they were free!

They would snap them open, use them as pry bars, have knife throwing contests, and all other sorts of things not condusive to keeping your knife in good condition.

Other than than snapping a few blades and destroying the micarta handles by opening beer bottles, they never managed to get a liner lock to fail.

I've been carrying the same one for quite a while (it's actually a Benchmade/Emerson CQC7), and it still locks up ~30-40%.

Ernie's earned my business again, even if I do have to pay for them myself now.

Awesome.

I'm wondering why it is that some have experienced premature wear on their Emerson knives that were inertia'ed, waved opened, whereas others like on of the last poster who has seen them abused like crazy, yet has still to witness any liner lock failure.

There's major discrepancies in the various testimonials, and there has to be one or more reasons accounting for this. I like the discussion btw.

Only problem liner lock issue I've had is with a very recent purchase of a Benchmade nitrous stryker. The liner lock is fine, but there's existing up and down blade play--mind you, I hear it is normal in this type of knive, and many seem to have fixed this--I ordered a BM's bluebox kit.

One note about BM knives : I have two of them (nitrous stryker and Mc Henry & William) and both clearly do not come razor sharp out of the box. Spydero and Emerson knives sure come crazy sharp out of the box--some more than others in these last two name brands.

Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two contradictory ideas simultaneously. The "ideas" or "cognitions" in question may include attitudes and beliefs, the awareness of one's behavior, and facts. The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by changing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors, or by justifying or rationalizing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors. (Wiki)

When I see such negativity shown towards liner locks or EKI, I often wonder if such people are on the same planet as me. Their experiences are so diametrically opposed to mine, that I can't help but feel that there is some motivating factor on their part that I am missing. I have found EKI to be an excellent company to deal with and as the family business that it is, I always feel like I am getting personal attention.

Where the knives are concerned, I have always felt confident in their lockup and very pleased with their design. If they are good enough for NASA, Emerson knives are good enough for me. In fact, due to the topic being raised, I just ordered a CQC-15 Stone Washed. Let's hear it for negative press. ;)

My Combat Karambit's liner didn't engage the tang enough, meaning it would fail with SLIGHT(and I DO mean slight) pressure applied to the spine.
A quick disassembly and a bit of file-work, and it locks up SUPER now.:thumbup:

I own several Emersons and have never experienced any lock failures. Those who argue against Emerson liner locks also tend to dislike any liner lock .....no mater who the manufacturer is. I've learned that the liner lock vs. back lock vs. frame lock arguments are somewhat similar to this brand of motor oil vs. this other brand of motor oil, Republican vs. Democrat, and this religion vs. another religion. That's just the way the world works. We are all individuals with certain preferences, bias, and pre-conceived ideas.

You do hear of occasional liner locks on Emersons and other folders that have some premature wear or aren't quite right when the are new but that is not the norm and it doesn't just happen with Emersons. All manufacturers have knives that slip through their quality control process.

Buy an Emerson with confidence.......if it fails you then send it back and let them make it right with their excellent customer service.

:thumbup:

I EDC a super CQC-8, and also have a CQC-12, and a super CQC-7. I have heard of people complaining of failures of liner locks on some Emersons, and have never experienced a lock failure.

That being said, for the life of me, I can't think of anything I would use these knives for that a little common sense would not prevent harm to myself. I can't count the number of times I have told someone not to cut towards themselves or just use common sense with a sharp instrument. EMERSONS ARE SHARP. If you cant keep yourself from being cut with a folder, it doesn't matter if you get a fixed blade. you're doomed in my opinion.

Bottom Line, lock failure comes from pressure on the back side of the blade....which is dull... and also not a pry bar. so, what is it you want?

2 cents.

I EDC a super CQC-8, and also have a CQC-12, and a super CQC-7. I have heard of people complaining of failures of liner locks on some Emersons, and have never experienced a lock failure.

That being said, for the life of me, I can't think of anything I would use these knives for that a little common sense would not prevent harm to myself. I can't count the number of times I have told someone not to cut towards themselves or just use common sense with a sharp instrument. EMERSONS ARE SHARP. If you cant keep yourself from being cut with a folder, it doesn't matter if you get a fixed blade. you're doomed in my opinion.

Bottom Line, lock failure comes from pressure on the back side of the blade....which is dull... and also not a pry bar. so, what is it you want?

2 cents.

Yeah, perhaps some have used their knives for uses other than what they're supposed to be used for. I can't know, but it's a possibility. So far as I'm concerned, if I need a pry bar, you can bet I won't be using any of the knives I have, unless it is light duty prying and I have one of my beater knives handy :p

2 cents.

The lock on my Combat Karambit failed with SLIGHT pressure with ONE finger, applied slowly.
Want to trust a "lock" with that level of reliability?
By the way, it NEVER held up against the one-finger pressure till I did the file-work. Now you could drive a small nail with the spine(dumb idea, but you could).

Just thought I'd add that this is the only Emerson I've encountered this on, so it isn't likely a common issue.

Just thought I'd add that this is the only Emerson I've encountered this on, so it isn't likely a common issue.

It happens with all manufacturers from time to time. No experience is the same and no two knives are the same either. The guys beating the crap out of those knives throwing them and what not obviously got some rock solid models to play with. I can think of some I've seen that would not have given them the same outcome.

I'll just add that when someone adds their experience good or bad it doesn't mean there are discrepancies. What it means is that odds stack up when you mass produce any product. Some slip through the cracks as someone said earlier. The main thing is does the company bat a good average. EKI can say they a have great batting average so they have little to worry about. Everyone strikes out now and then. It goes with the territory.

As for what Emerson knives brings to the table compared to other knife brands: Well, to be perfectly honest with you I wish for the money that Emerson didn't show laser cut marks on the liners. I wish for the money that both side liners were titanium instead of one side ti (the lock) the other side 300 series stainless steel (the non lock side). I wish they offered more than just black color for their G10 and that they offered right and left hand carry options for the clip as standard as some of their competitors do, and I wish they offered a traditional V cutting edge for those of us that just simply do not like a one side grind. But you know they do offer the one thing no one else has in a liner lock and thats the Wave. For some thats the deal maker I guess. They do listen to users and thats good. For a few years a lot of folks wanted thicker liners. We finally got them so wishing is not totally fruitless.

I wish they offered more frame locks too now that I'm talking about my wish list. Hint hint!

STR

Yeah, I believe this can happen with any oty own hers brands. I guess it's more to do with the fact that at the price point of those knives, it shouldn't theoretically happen, but then, cars are expensive and look at Toyota's current ordeal...

Um, I've just provided a counter-argument to my own argument. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how fast is Emerson's email turnaround time ? I'm starting to think it's much easier to contact them by phone than by email.

It happens with all manufacturers from time to time. No experience is the same and no two knives are the same either. The guys beating the crap out of those knives throwing them and what not obviously got some rock solid models to play with. I can think of some I've seen that would not have given them the same outcome.

I'll just add that when someone adds their experience good or bad it doesn't mean there are discrepancies. What it means is that odds stack up when you mass produce any product. Some slip through the cracks as someone said earlier. The main thing is does the company bat a good average. EKI can say they a have great batting average so they have little to worry about. Everyone strikes out now and then. It goes with the territory.

As for what Emerson knives brings to the table compared to other knife brands: Well, to be perfectly honest with you I wish for the money that Emerson didn't show laser cut marks on the liners. I wish for the money that both side liners were titanium instead of one side ti (the lock) the other side 300 series stainless steel (the non lock side). I wish they offered more than just black color for their G10 and that they offered right and left hand carry options for the clip as standard as some of their competitors do, and I wish they offered a traditional V cutting edge for those of us that just simply do not like a one side grind. But you know they do offer the one thing no one else has in a liner lock and thats the Wave. For some thats the deal maker I guess. They do listen to users and thats good. For a few years a lot of folks wanted thicker liners. We finally got them so wishing is not totally fruitless.

I wish they offered more frame locks too now that I'm talking about my wish list. Hint hint!

STR

You and me both man, and a big +1 on the frame locks.

Also, hows the old arm doing ? I hope your on the mend now :):thumbup:

You and me both man, and a big +1 on the frame locks.

Also, hows the old arm doing ? I hope your on the mend now :):thumbup:

Back to work for the most part. Won't be doing any frame lock conversions for long time though. My wrist still has a bit of a crackle to it when I move it around but I'm learning to live with it now that the pain is gone. Thanks for asking
STR

Hi,

Sligtly offtopic..
@ STR, since you don't convert knives to framelock anymore, who does?

Thanks!

Back