Are J. A. Henckels kitchen knives zany good?

I just received the last of one of each of the Miyabi 7000 MC (micro carbide) line, made in Japan, completing my collection.
Stainless-clad ZDP 189, wood grain micarta handles, razor sharp.

Not dishwasher safe and the edges are going to oxidize,
so I can see why they are discontinued, as housewives are unlikely to be impressed by their quirkiness.
But for my taste as a somewhat discriminating knife collector and culinary professional, they are about as good as it gets for what they are.

Clearance prices right now, I think I paid $89 bucks for the 5" parer / utility up to $190
for the 9.5" Gyuto. I've got some other quality culinary knives of similar design and these are easily on par.

I wouldn't cross the street for the same knives in a more pedestrian steel line (which they have),
so you really have to know what specific knives you are asking about when you are inquiring.

those knives are dirt cheap for zdp 189. they're great introduction to powdered steels, so long as you know how to use them and take care of them.

I'll also mention the Cronidur line, the 8" chef is uniquely shaped like a butcher knife, one piece construction, excellent micarta handles, RC 60, about as stainless as it gets.
I was using it today and it is a great rocking knife, very unlike the style I am accustomed to - cool stuff. :thumbup:
I also have the 4" parer; very nice paring knife, and I just ordered the 8" carver that I intend to use like a large boning knife.
It is another disco'd line, so there are deals out there, if you are at all interested I would scarf them up now.

Back