Are leather sheaths becoming obsolete?

I still prefer a functional leather sheath on fixed blades. I by no means know what is available in kydex, but Bob Dozier's kydex sheaths are excellent. The glass infused plastic sheaths pretty much suck (imitation kydex) whether it be a Becker or a Mora. Given the choice, I would choose leather just about every time. Canvas machete sheaths suck too.

When I tried my admittedly amateur hand at making Kydex sheaths I found they tended to scratch my carbon steel knives a bit so I'm pretty much back to leather for everything other than small neckers. I'm also a sucker for the smell of broken in leather and Kydex can never replicate that.

I own 2 leather, 3 nylon, and around 30 kydex/molded plastic.

Leather has never been my preference.

The problem I have with kydex sheaths is that they are often poorly made with loose tolerances This results in dulling the blade when removing or inserting the knife. Cold Steel and Ka-Bar Kydex sheaths are especially prone to this based on my experience, IMO. I prefer leather and will ditch the kydex for a custom leather sheath or one that I find online that fits.

Nothing wrong with kydex, I own several made by mashed cat and they're great. I do however prefer a well made leather sheath.
ruEQgtV.jpg

jFm1LQE.jpg

DDjnEsW.jpg

I don't think they are obsolete, they have a place still and to me it's all about a cohesive theme/use of the knife. A tactical all black knife designed more for defense should come with a modern plastic sheath (Kydex or whatever) and a knife like a hunting knife, traditional bowie or classic military knives should come with leather sheaths. It would be odd/wrong to me if a modern Karambit came with a leather sheath and a traditional stag bowie came with a modern kydex sheath that had a MOLLE connector attached to it. And after that it just comes down to the sheath working properly and keeping the knife secure, the exact material comes second.

I have mostly kydex, but I LOVE leather sheaths! I have 3 knives with leather sheaths, and want to get a few more leather sheaths to replace, or go along side the kydex ones.

I much prefer leather ... I have found a few kydex that work and are functional ... but I've yet to find a kydex sheath that I wouldn't prefer a quaility leather sheath to replace it if I had a good leather craftsman to make me some.

For me leather is best for most outings, esp in Alaska in the winter. Kydex is, for me, more of an urban EDC carry method.

When I tried my admittedly amateur hand at making Kydex sheaths I found they tended to scratch my carbon steel knives a bit so I'm pretty much back to leather for everything other than small neckers.

Kydex doesn't NEED to scratch the blade. Plenty of sheathmakers don't know what they're doing and have sheaths that have waaay too much drag on the blade, thus scratching it.

The problem I have with kydex sheaths is that they are often poorly made with loose tolerances This results in dulling the blade when removing or inserting the knife. Cold Steel and Ka-Bar Kydex sheaths are especially prone to this based on my experience, IMO.

Most manufacturers aren't using kydex, they're usually injection molded using some sort of FRN, and that's what dulls the knife.

It really irks me when a manufacturer describes their knife's sheath as kydex when it is clearly injection molded.

Kydex doesn't NEED to scratch the blade. Plenty of sheathmakers don't know what they're doing and have sheaths that have waaay too much drag on the blade, thus scratching it.

Most manufacturers aren't using kydex, they're usually injection molded using some sort of FRN, and that's what dulls the knife.

It really irks me when a manufacturer describes their knife's sheath as kydex when it is clearly injection molded.

Could be. I just know I never had a hard shell sheath that didn't quickly dull the blade. I have enough leather sheaths lying around that these usually just hit the trash bin when I get a new knife with a hard shell.

I don't really have a preference. I'm content with a good quality nylon + plastic sheath like the Gerber Strongarm sheath.

I don't like kydex at all, for any knife. It just makes to much noise for me. Leather on the other hand smells great, is quiet, and is secure enough for me, although not as secure as kydex.

Some kydex won't release my knife...some others just clank and clunk. I truly dislike kydex.
The finest leather-worker (IMO) states that "kydex has no soul."
Sounds about right to me.

Some kydex won't release my knife...some others just clank and clunk. I truly dislike kydex.
The finest leather-worker (IMO) states that "kydex has no soul."
Sounds about right to me.

I agree, there's nothing like a well worn piece of leather.
Just like there's nothing better than a well worn and cared for hickory tool handle.

This is gong to upset some but Kydex is junk to me

For everyday carry of sidearms and fixed blades just like belts Leather is king

It moves with you and unlike Kydex does not mare your blade

Now I will admit I am spoiled and I have access to some of the best custom Leather out there so I’m lucky and prouduction Leather is pretty much junk

With that said Kydex is suitable and even preferable when I’m dealing with water applications ......fishing ....diving, etc

Kydex is here to stay because it is cheap and tacticool but nothing carries as well as fine Leather

I can’t imagine getting a fine custom knife and sticking it in a plastic sheath :)

Back