Are my cheap knives the problem with my throwing?

S strick284

I realize this is an old thread, but did you ever discover what was causing your knives to spiral in flight?

Thanks.
The knife pictured in OP is bad for throwing, IMO .

The wrapping cord and trailing knot can easily prevent a clean release .

I've had many problems trying to throw my carry knives with lanyards .

Anything that can catch or drag when you release can impart uneven vectors and even be dangerous . :confused::thumbsdown:

Almost always the "issue" is "operator error"... inversion (hitting spine down, while throwing spine up) is normal although not understood. My no spin is typically inside an 8 ft distance.. (I'm 6'4" with long arms) any further than that and rotation occurs (again, operator error).. it has to do with the release (when and where in the throw) of the blade. I tend to throw from the shoulder and not the elbow (baseball style).. upon release you should have a straight line from your elbow to the tip of the blade, any "flat" hits are usually wrist issues.. if your off at all the blade will plane sideways. the blade should slip from your hand, I have found a straight arm (no bend in the elbow) improves the no spin technique and practice, practice, practice. And loose the wrap/tail (introduces variables) Good luck, watch the ricochets.

Thanks for the insight. That sounds like what I'm finding as well. When I was younger, it wasn't seen often. After some tendonitis in the shoulder it seems to rifle/spiral at times. Like you, I'm about 6'3" and long arms. My no spin is also mostly inside the 10' marker. Even on the high speed camera at 240 fps I can't catch where it's happening, but I feel like you're correct. If I used stinger type knives maybe it would be different, but since I was originally trained for tactical, not competition, I don't throw anything I wouldn't carry. As a friends of mine likes to say, if you wouldn't carry it to kill a zombie, don't bother using it for throwing practice. :>)

Thanks again, gentlemen.

I think my medium SpyderThrowers are about ten ounces, the super light weight of yours is definitely not helping you, also the blade profile looks really harsh for throwing

Back