Are the Rolling Lock and the Axis Lock still just lockbacks?

Bob,

I actually have another Pocket Hobbit on order direct from REKAT (along with a couple of Pioneers). I'll check it out and get back to you on it. Maybe my knife is a bum or something. Anyway, I appreciate your responses and explanations, as well as your willingness to address my concerns.

Again, I hope nobody gets the wrong idea here. I love my REKAT knives. When I started this thread, I was simply reiterating a theory of a friend of mine's, which does have its merits within the limited scope of his two simple points. None of the other advantages that the Rolling Lock (and for that matter, the Axis Lock) offers were ever in question. Let me repeat: I own or have used both knives.

As far as what addressed my friend's theory as stated, Joe's point about springs was a good one, bringing the issue into a real-world context. And Bob's information about blade rebound could indicate that I'm actually dead wrong on the first point.

------------------

Win
Knife lover, Philosopher, Humanitarian, and All-around nice guy
(all right, so I'm just a knife lover)

[This message has been edited by Win (edited 18 December 1998).]

dfhoward

The Spyderco collaboration is a knife designed by Sal Glasser the CEO of Spyderco using REKAT enginering. Like all the REKAT line it will have the slide bar. I am not sure of the final specs. Spyderco became intrested in the Rolling Lock after testing a Pioneer. Their testing procedure is the best in the industry. According to their testing the Tanto Pioneer was three times stronger than anything they had tested.The Rolling Lock didn't fail, the rest of the knife did. Their fax to us was WOW. We are sending three more knives to them next week. These will have a new material and revised enginering. While making the knife stronger may be redundant as it won't fail with human strength, We feel that we owe it to the consumer to make the best knife we can. Spyderco will follow the lead and use the material and engineering. Sal has the same attitude make the best knife you can. Sorry I don't have the actual final specs on their project. I will try to post a Pic of the Martial Folder prototype which was displayed at the New York Knife Show. I am a lousy photographer so don't hold your breath

Bob Taylor

thad, I reread your post and I think I see what you are saying, but I think you may be unfairly categorizing the Rolling Lock, the execution of the knife I have is a bit rough, but in terms of performance, I can conceive of no possible way that the Axis could be far superior.

Bob Taylor, good to see you on the Forums.

------------------
Marion David Poff fka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

Patiently waiting for the Spyderco SpydeRench, Lum Chinese Chopper Folder, Rolling Lock, Benchmade M2 Axis, M2 Axis AFCK, M2 Pinnacle and the REKAT Escalator and Pat Crawford Design.

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

Bob,

Would you mind describing the slide bar? Will the Pat Crawford Rolling Locks incorporate this feature?

Axel

P.S. I enjoyed your TRS videos. Pretty wild stuff with the simunition.

Back