Argon refill

This is slightly off topic but I figured enough of you guys weld that I could get some help. I have a Tig welder and need to fill my argon. I called airgas and they said for my 80cf cylinder it would be 70 bucks. I could have swore I remember getting it for $30-$40 before. Also they are exchanging, not actually refilling my bottle.

So what do you guys normally pay for argon? Should I look elsewhere or is the price just up?

Thanks guys

Welcome to the pandemic.

Every product whether it is actually affected or not will be overpriced and under served to increase revenue and cut costs.

Reading the welding forums, the price of argon varies widely.
If you're in Canada, all the outlets have fixed the prices.

If you can find a small independent in the USA, you might find a better rate.

I pay around that much for a “T” size bottle which is >4 times bigger.

Welding supply places have a pricing schedule depending on how much you buy as a customer. Tell them you are a loyal customer and want to keep doing business with them but you need the best price on gas. I’ve been welding for 40 years and have to fight with them about price all the time.

Get an account set up even if you pay cash, that way they can look you up and you’ll pay the same every time. And always ask for a better price. I try to talk enough so they will remember me also. Yeah, I don’t like the games they play.

Hoss

What D DevinT said for sure. Ask them if they can give you a better rate. Chat them up and tell them that you are a knife maker. If they like you they will sometimes go out of their way to lower the price. Ask if they have a student rate. I was able to get it throughout most of my welding career. The student rate is often one of the lowest rates of all. I think it's to help build loyalty to a company when the welders are just starting their career. I got better student rates with the big chains like praxair than some of the local companies who are popular in a area. Those guys can be popular with local businesses because of their sales guys but are not outstanding for walk ins. Check a couple of places and don't be afraid to tell them what rates you were offered elsewhere. My cousin works at a welding supply store and says they have around 20 tiers and it is very possible to pay double if you aren't careful. Some places have a flat rate filling charge before you pay for gas and it can mean its only a few bucks difference between filling a small bottle and one with 3 times the volume.

I get my argon from TSC just for the convienece of being able to get it 7 days week. I get it so infrequently I don't remember what I pay

I pay around that much for a “T” size bottle which is >4 times bigger.

Welding supply places have a pricing schedule depending on how much you buy as a customer. Tell them you are a loyal customer and want to keep doing business with them but you need the best price on gas. I’ve been welding for 40 years and have to fight with them about price all the time.

Get an account set up even if you pay cash, that way they can look you up and you’ll pay the same every time. And always ask for a better price. I try to talk enough so they will remember me also. Yeah, I don’t like the games they play.

Hoss
I wouldn't have known that the price is "flexible" if you haggle a bit. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

I ended up looking around for a smaller business and found a local supply store that exchanged the bottle for $45

I wouldn't have known that the price is "flexible" if you haggle a bit. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

I ended up looking around for a smaller business and found a local supply store that exchanged the bottle for $45
That's a fair price unless you have a killer deal. I used to pay $40 on the west coast for a Q bottle but that was a long time ago I think I paid $65 out here.

Back