Arkansas Soft vs. Spyderco...???

Hello Sharpeners,

As I've said here many times, I'm a sucker for my Arkansas stones. I know not everyone likes them any more but I do and I very much like the edge off my soft stones, especially for the kitchen.

That said, I'm also quite open to trying new things and on a little quest to do just that. Currently, I'm quite interested in the Spyderco bench stones and am wondering if the medium is approachable to the Arkansas soft?

I know that's a bit of a loaded question in that grits are highly subject and different media give different edges, but just in general, would you say they are in the same ballpark or is the fine closer? I'm thinking the UF is more on par with a black.

Appreciate any input you might have.

My chart from 'Sharpening Made Easy' puts the soft Arkansas at 5-600 grit and the medium Spyderco ceramic at 700 grit. Then the Black
Arkansas at 1200 and the extra fine white ceramic at 1500. That said, from a chart, the properties of these stones are very different. And
I have all these and use them. The Arkansas stones especially the Washita will work as a finishing stone on kitchen cutlery. i.e. the basic
commercial steels, 420HC and non-stainless. The ceramic stones will work on much better steels, beyond 440C, ATS 34, 154cm, ect..
I use my Washita on axes and kitchen cutlery, with no complaints. I use the ultra fine Spyderco ceramic on my razor. DM

Eli, your welcome. Something of interest; I have a 4"X 8" Washita and have put 400 grit SiC on it with oil and this improves the Arkansas's cutting abilities. DM

I just use spyderco double stuff. It's my pocket SM. I like sharpness I get just from brown stone.
Brown makes the edge start to look like a mirror. White one is even more so and UF makes it into a mirror. Just to give you an idea.

Last edited:
Probably not as helpful but don't forget you can pick up a Spyderco Double Stuff to test out the medium and fine grits for a bit less than the full size benchstone to see if you want to invest in them.

Another thing you can do is pick up a Sharpmaker and it's setup so you can use it as a benchstone as well. I find it works best in the normal upright position with 1 stone and using a piece of rubber I cut into a triangle (spare rubber foot I bought to hold it in place easier) so the stone is wedged in there securly so there is no play while sharpening.

Neither of them are as ideal as a full size stone if that's what your used too. Just other thoughts on going about it if you wanted to test it out before making a big investment or go with a slightly less than ideal setup to get a Sharpmaker out of it as well.

Either way have fun and I hope you enjoy whatever you get.

Yes, going with the 2x8" Spyderco ceramic stones, just the medium and fine will run you $120. They are nice to have but the amount I
use them barely justifies the cost. DM

Yes, going with the 2x8" Spyderco ceramic stones, just the medium and fine will run you $120. They are nice to have but the amount I
use them barely justifies the cost. DM

This is what has always and continues to keep me from buying them. My primary interest in these stones were as a lubricant-free alternative to my Arkansas stones. But, I spent a good while doing research this weekend and lots of folks do use oil on them and those that don't find them loading up after a few sharpening sessions. Not a huge deal as I always at a minimum, wash my Arkansas stones after use, but not enough of a departure, if you will, for me to justify the cost.

Eli, gents here get that stone just because they like fine stones. It will last several lifetimes. I use mine mostly for my straight razor, double edge blades and Rolls Razor. It does a good job on these. If you could borrow one for a test drive, then you'd know if you'll like it. DM

Back