1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arkansas Stones VS D2 and CPM-154?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by afishhunter, Dec 8, 2018 at 3:24 PM.

1. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Will Arkansas Oil Stones sharpen D2 and CPM-154 blades with the BOS heat treat?

2. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    They will put the final edge on an already sharp blade just fine. I wouldn't want to try to sharpen a dull knife with one though.

3. I wouldn't waste time with Arkansas stones on anything more wear-resistant than 440C, which itself is less wear-resistant than D2 and probably less-so than CPM-154. Even if a little refinement is possible at the high end, it'll still take a toll on the stone itself, as the steel's carbides will be roughly 2X or more as hard as the stone's own abrasive grit (novaculite), and the stone will eventually be glazed by the polishing effect of the carbides in the steel. You'll begin to see a glassy 'shine' on the surface of the stone. When that happens, the stone will be even slower to cut most anything, even simpler steels. It kills 'em quick, and they'll need lapping/resurfacing if that happens.

For grinding such steels, I'd rather use a SiC stone or a diamond hone for heavier work. And either that or an aluminum oxide stone, like an India, would also do well for basic upkeep and light resharpening. I know a diamond hone also works very well with D2 at the finishing end.

4. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    agreed ^.
    @afishhunter , if your determined on using a Arkansas try this.--- I have a Washita grade 4"X 8" stone (nice size stone) which I applied
    SiC grit on (maybe 300 grit) using mineral oil as a carrier. This being the most coarse grade. I use it for the final stone on some 110's.
    This helped it work better but still slow. Yet, I get to utilize my large stone. DM

Chris "Anagarika" likes this.
  5. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Thanks, everyone. :)

Looks like I need to start saving for a good set of diamond hones. :(

6. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    You can pick up coarse/fine Lansky bench stone for around $25. Same amount will get you c/f/ef DMT credit cards. DMT dual side folding sharpener as well. Lansky diamond crock sticks if you want to go that route too, drilling in new holes at the desired angle is an option with them.