Ask the CPK community a question: Flying out of the United States & Knife travel edition

DrBC

Gold Member
Hello all,

I have a few questions and would be grateful for any shared wisdom. I have a trip planned to Guam, a USA territory. I am having issues regarding researching their knife laws on use & carry. I plan to go over there to do a lot of scuba diving. And as such I was wanting to bring my Magnacut DEK1 to act as a dive knife but also for fishing and daily carry. Some places say it's okay to carry a knife as long as it is open-carry. Others say it's okay as long as it's intended for an activity that is justifiable such as fishing for example. Others say it has to be a 3-inch or less blade length. Most places have said it can not be concealed legally without a permit from the police. If any of you beautiful people have any knowledge about Guam or traveling out of the continental United States with a knife in general, I would appreciate any information.

While thinking of this I also had a few more questions arise since this will be my first time flying with a knife (unless I ship it to my destination). I am aware knives have to be declared or checked into TSA. But I don't know much else beyond that. Does it have to be in a locked box like a firearm? And would that mean my suitcase would have to be stored under the plane in the cargo I assume? I will be jumping through multiple airports there and back (all USA), whats the best way to track my bag or does the airline manage that?

Also, feel free to share any stories about traveling with blades or firearms in general.

Thanks for the help!
DrBC

I’m certainly no expert on any of this. I have traveled a fair amount in the US and out of the country a few times. I’m fairly certain that you are not allowed to bring a knife into the cabin of the plane. I’ve lost several little key chain Swiss Army knives that way (just plain forgot about them). If they find a knife with you, they will give you the choice of having it permanently confiscated or, if available, and you have time, sprinting back out of the inspection area, to a self mailer station and mailing it back to yourself. I had to to that with a rather expensive folder and thought, for sure, it would be stolen. It made it!

I’ve never had any difficulties traveling with knives packed in a checked suitcase. Think coming home from the Blade Show with a fair number of knives. The airlines do/usually keep track of your luggage, through multiple stops and plane changes. I’ve never had a knife lost or stolen.

I have traveled to other countries before, with knives packed in checked baggage. I’ve also purchased knives in those countries, to bring home. I do know that some countries have very restrictive knife laws, so maybe traveling with one is okay, but carrying it may not be. The only time I was a bit nervous was arriving at an airport in Tanzania. There was a sign that said something about no sharp things. I had two CPK knives and two Matt Gregory knives packed. I think that I got lucky because the knives were packed together, tightly, in a roll, that made them sort of indistinguishable.

I would guess that traveling to Guam, especially with a dive knife, because you are diving, wouldn’t be a problem. Are you diving with a guide or shop? You might be able to give them a call - or just a dive shop, in general. Hell, there’s probably someone here, on the forums, that has done some diving off of Guam. Hope that this helps a bit. Mike

You do not have to or need to declare a knife with TSA but you do have to have it in checked luggage. I fly with (multiple) knives weekly in the US. I’ve also flown to Mexico, Costa Rica, Canada and New Zealand with a pocket knife. Zero issues.

Knife goes in sock, in shoe, with underwear on stuffed in top. Never had anything disturbed. I average 40-50 flights a year 90% domestic.

I’ve flown with firearms usually for hunting but have also flown with a pistol to Alaska. Those have to be declared and locked. Best to keep ammo in its original box separate of the firearm

I’m not sure if regulations in Guam but in my experience, if you’re smart and keep it classy, you’ll not run into issues for having a knife. That being said, I’d be more comfortable with a pocket knife than fixed blade for traveling abroad, less attention seeking. Also if I had ANY reservations about a countries knife laws I certainly wouldn’t be bringing a cpk

I would warn against the self mailer stations.
I had my debit card info stolen from one in Denver. (Maybe Dallas?)
Got the knife back but a fishy charge came not long after.
The more you know!🌈⭐

like the others has said in checked luggage I normally bring a Spyderco and a leatherman things that I can replace easily if they go missing. Never had any go missing in in Kehei with a Spyderco H1 in my pocket. I put Apple air tags in my bags to help keep an eye on them and make it easier to find at luggage claim.

I'm not sure what other countries this applies to but for the UK you would also need to say the right thing if questioned. You could fly in with a K18, shiv and boot dagger (in the hold) without breaking the law, if however you are stopped/searched by customs you cannot say they are for self defence. That would change them from a knife to a weapon.

"But Sir, if somebody broke into your hotel room to attack you surely you'd grab one of these?" Would be a hard question to keep a straight face to whilst saying absolutely not! :)

I'm not sure what other countries this applies to but for the UK you would also need to say the right thing if questioned. You could fly in with a K18, shiv and boot dagger (in the hold) without breaking the law, if however you are stopped/searched by customs you cannot say they are for self defence. That would change them from a knife to a weapon.

"But Sir, if somebody broke into your hotel room to attack you surely you'd grab one of these?" Would be a hard question to keep a straight face to whilst saying absolutely not! :)
"Most assuredly so, constable. I would grab them all, and try to run away. I DO love them so!".

*** "No idea what happened, and how that one got unsheathed, and everything else that followed. I must have tripped". 😉

Back