"Assist" Rescue pics.

The contoured blade has a very interesting look to it. Like a kris blade.

Interesting looking knife, indeed! But does it have to be equipped with that wire-clip-thingie?
Wouldn't a "regular" flat clip be better, like on the old Rescue & Rescue 93mm.

I noted that it's just a prototype, but anyway....

Well, it is a "production prototype" - a first sample of the knife as it will actually appear from the production line in a couple months.

ummm......

Ok, I'll say it.

That is the ugliest knife I have ever seen. I mean EVER.

LOL!

I'd probably pick it up were it not for the finger grooves on the spine of the blade... I understand their purpose for the use of the carbide tip... but still...

I don't think I've ever refrained from buying a Spyderco for it's looks, but this might be the first time.

Yup, ugly as sin. It usually turns out that ugly things are functional, which looks like the case. When I get to hold one, I think I'll know.

The glass breaker spring-loaded, right?

FUGLY!

But, like most of the spyderco knives, you get used to looking at it when you start using it. I've looked at getting a rescue quite a few times, might as well get this one('cause I don't know how long it'll be around).

It'd be hidden in a belt sheath though. Be quite comfortable to use the breaker with.

can I assume the breaker is retracted by 1> releasing pressure on the spine of the blade or 2> those 2 orange spots near the base of the handle?

Thank you for the pics. Interesting knife. And not that ugly IMO. What are those red dots (stripes) at the back of the handles (near the glass breaker)?

I like it. My only gripe would be that it would have been nice to have either a prying tip or screwdriver at the tip.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm a big fan of the Rescue models as utility knives and have been waiting for more info on the Assist. A few observations:

I'm curious to see how well the glass breaker will stack up against a standard center punch.

The rounded tip that wraps all the way around to the edge seems like it would make the plain edge part of the blade less useful. Maybe it is just the way that the prototype was made.

I'm not always fond of finger grooves. They sometimes feel a little awkward and unnatural to me.

I was hoping for a stainless handle with Kraton inserts, like the ProGrip II, even though it would make the knife heavier and more expensive.

Even so, I'm looking forward to getting one...:)

I think the tip is rounded so as to make it impossible to poke someone with it when you were cutting their seatbelt, clothes etc.

This way you can agressively get that knife under what needs to be cut, without worrying about causing damage to the "rescue-ee"

Spyderco has always been, IMHO, the leader in rescue knives (especially folders), but with this, they have jumped ahead significantly.

Impressive design that shows alot of forethought.

That thing is one ugly knife.Chances are, it will be high on my list of knives to buy though.

Originally posted by PointyReckoning
I think the tip is rounded so as to make it impossible to poke someone with it when you were cutting their seatbelt, clothes etc.

This way you can agressively get that knife under what needs to be cut, without worrying about causing damage to the "rescue-ee"
Yes, good point. After thinking about this, I can see that the whole design of the Assist is now optimized for the intended users - EMTs, firemen, police, etc. On the other hand, the Rescue has a mix of features that makes it useful for a broader group of users. Hopefully, both models will continue to be sold.

Originally posted by Joe Talmadge
Just when you think there's no way Spyderco knives could get any uglier :)

Joe
Damn right!!!
I need one of those in my parent's car.

Back