Assymetric Grind Using WSKO

I've been using the Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition for a while now, and I still get an assymetric grind--the bevel reaches higher on one side of the blade than on the other. It very well could be that I'm pushing harder on one side than on the other, but I'm curious if other people have had this issue and if they have, how they solved it. Did they change the pressure of their hand? Did they adjust the guide somehow? Did they get a replacement guide?

I've been using the Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition for a while now, and I still get an assymetric grind--the bevel reaches higher on one side of the blade than on the other. It very well could be that I'm pushing harder on one side than on the other, but I'm curious if other people have had this issue and if they have, how they solved it. Did they change the pressure of their hand? Did they adjust the guide somehow? Did they get a replacement guide?

Blade Grinding Attachment. :cool:

You had this problem and that's how you solved it?

I didn't see really asymmetric bevels that you describe, (so don't know what to tell you to solve it... probably just something in your technique)... I just think the BGA makes the WSKO a much better sharpener overall... and is worth the investment.

I didn't see really asymmetric bevels that you describe, (so don't know what to tell you to solve it... probably just something in your technique)... I just think the BGA makes the WSKO a much better sharpener overall... and is worth the investment.
OK. I'm hoping someone answers the question I posted.

Ah... good point.

Just giving you an option to consider... works way better than the pull-thru setup, and will definitely 'solve' your issue... (why I suggested it). ;)
We'll see; we'll see. I called up Darex and described the problem. They have very good customer support. They said that the problem is likely due to the fact that I am a righty, but just to be sure, they are sending me a replacement guide. I've already upgraded from the standard machine to the WSKO. It would be nice if something worked well for me before upgrading yet again.

We'll see; we'll see. I called up Darex and described the problem. They have very good customer support. They said that the problem is likely due to the fact that I am a righty, but just to be sure, they are sending me a replacement guide. I've already upgraded from the standard machine to the WSKO. It would be nice if something worked well for me before upgrading yet again.
Have you checked the overall grinds on the knife? If one side is ground a tad higher or lower it will give the edge profile a higher or lower look to it also

I think that standing up and putting books under the WSKO to raise it up a bit so that one's arms are in a more natural position probably helps. I did that and sharpened a Shaman tonight at a 22.5 degree (per side) angle, and the two sides came out pretty even. (The tip is not perfectly even from side to side, but it's close enough.)

I’m going to guess that the bevel is wider on the show side of the knife.
The belt goes down relative to the blade guide on that side and tends to pull the knife into the belt more (= wider bevel). It goes up on the opposite side, with the reverse effect.

I have the same issue unless I am really paying attention to not letting the blade suck in. Not pulling the knife straight through perpendicular the belt can have the same outcome.

The knife I’m carrying now got a little off when I reprofiled it on my WSKO last week. I was a bit out of practice.

ETA S Sharperthansticks Please let me know if a new blade guide makes any difference!

I’m going to guess that the bevel is wider on the show side of the knife.
The belt goes down relative to the blade guide on that side and tends to pull the knife into the belt more (= wider bevel). It goes up on the opposite side, with the reverse effect.

I have the same issue unless I am really paying attention to not letting the blade suck in. Not pulling the knife straight through perpendicular the belt can have the same outcome.

The knife I’m carrying now got a little off when I reprofiled it on my WSKO last week. I was a bit out of practice.

ETA S Sharperthansticks Please let me know if a new blade guide makes any difference!
I wish I had been keeping track, because this has happened with a lot of blades, most of which are not in my collection at the moment. It doesn't happen with kitchen knives--perhaps because they don't need nearly as many passes, so the problem is minimized, or perhaps because they're longer and therefore can use the little blade stabilizer as you pull them through. Most recently, this happened with a Benchmade Anthem, but that's out for service at the moment, so I don't know which side was more affected.

Try standing up while using the WSKO. If the surface you are working on is too low for comfort, just stack some large books. This may help; I felt that I had better muscle control when I didn't have to bend so strongly at the elbow, and my Spyderco Shaman came out pretty nice.

If you guys can swing it the blade grind attachment will give you new levels of sharpness unseen with standard ko unit. That is if you are chasing that kind of edge anyways, if not than it’s rather pointless to add.

When you guys sharpen your blades with the standard unit do you tape the knife to not scratch the side?

Is there a button I can click to remotely shock people each time they attempt a threadjacking?
There's a report button on the bottom left corner of each post, if you believe someone is posting inappropriately. Threads do tend to drift, though. That's the nature of discussion.

As to your original question, without seeing you sharpen, I can only offer a guess. I would guess that it's because the belt is sharpening edge leading on one side, and edge trailing on the other. I've never had a problem with uneven grinds, because I don't use the guide. I sharpen both sides of the knife against the same side of the belt (edge trailing).

Is there a button I can click to remotely shock people each time they attempt a threadjacking?
I’m not trying to hijack your thread. I was simply asking you a question. I was also going to attempt to help you with your problem but after that immature little rant I am done with this thread

He was "going to." Ha ha ha. Ah, well, now he's invisible. Guess I'll never benefit from that mysterious help he was going to give. :)

Back