1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Asymmetrical edges/knives

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by BillL, Feb 14, 2014.

1. BillL

BillL

Jan 12, 2005
    I have questions on asymmetrical edges.

How many types are there?

Please correct me on the following:

1) If the angle is equal at the edge, then the asymmetry will mean that the edge is not at the centre.

2) If the edge is in the centre then the angle should be unequal and the bevel will be longer on the side with the smaller angle.

3) We can also have an off-centre edge with unequal angles, this would be something like compound asymmetry.

Which are the ones commonly used? and which one is never encountered as yet?

Thanks very much.

2. bluntcut

bluntcut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 28, 2012
    Here is an image - described your 3 asym edge types - taken from a KKF thread
    grinds.jpg

3. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    Your first question answers your question.

An asymmetric edge is simply off center by being ground heavily to one side. When you hear the edge is 70/30 or 80/20 that is basically a percentage that each side is sharpened too.

4. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    When I bought my misono slicer, it came 70/30 and have always kept it there.

5. BillL

BillL

Jan 12, 2005
    So is the Misono equal angles or centre edge (unequal angles)

6. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    It's off center. The angles are nearly the same though and it's only the amount of time spent on each side that is different.