At what age did you receive your first pocket knife?

Originally posted by peter78
I read with interest about lockback knives, a boy cannot use a lockback knife in Scouts. Maybe it is considered more of a weapon???

I've been in the Scouts for a while, and starting to get back into it as an adult leader. I've never heard the "no lock back" rule. As a Scout, I usually carried a lock-back Spyderco, sometimes or a Buck or SAK slipjoint. Actually, I believe that Buck made red and blue handled Bucklites that were official scout lockbacks. I have heard a "no fixed blade" rule, but never actually seen it in writing. There used to be an official scout sheath knife, just like there still is an official scout slipjoint. I'm actually curious what the actual official BSA policy on knives is. IMHO, if you're letting people use axes, there's probably not a whole lot more trouble they can get into with a fixed blade. Of course, I'm sure individual units can make their own restrictions, and they need to comply with local laws.

Regarding the original question, I had a great uncle give me a knife when I was about 3, but I didn't actually get to have it in my posession. Got a SAK at about 6 or 8, and did give myself some nice gashes. What others have said about safety training is good advice. It's a good thing to spend few weekends doing together. Make sure you include some sharpening practice, though a crock-stick type device might be easier than starting with a stone.

As far as what to get - I'm not all that familiar with the small end of the Buck line - I'd recommend a Gerber LST (available at WallyWorld) or a smaller Opinel. Both are good knives, smaller handles, strong easily manipulated locks, and inexpensive enough that losing or destroying it won't be a big deal. I have better knives, but both of these get the job done, and I'd feel comfortable giving them to a smaller child. Once he knows the basics, and has some more finger strength, move up to a 110 or Mayo :D For that matter, if you're worried about closing mishaps, start off with a fixed blade, like a small Mora-type knife, a kit blade, or maybe even a paring knife. Then he can master working with a sharp edge before having to worry about finger-closing mishaps.

Finally *soapbox on* make sure your daughters get in on the knife action. Women have to cut stuff too, and if you're going to scalp a Barbie, you might as well use the proper tool! :D :rolleyes: Seriously, though, both men and women need to appreciate sharp, servicable tools.

I had my first knife when I was five. I can't remember exactly what make or anything but it was n fixed blade, blunt and no doubt cheap. I guess it got me used to carrying a knife and taught me not to do the dumb things like running with it in my hand nd dropping it on the ground and not being able to find it again, things like that.

At the same time my father used to let me use his razor sharp folding knife while he was there to supervise me. He taught me how to open and close it without removing fingers, how to hold it, how to cut away from my other hand etc.

It wasn't until I was fifeteen that I recieved my first "real" knife. A Buck 110 finger grooved hunter, and to this day it's still my favourite knife. My Grandfather gave it to me for my Birthday, which really meant something to me as he was from the old school of hard knocks, and didn't really believe in Birthday presents and such, but he taught me a great deal and was the driving force to making me a proffessional outdoorsman. I miss him dearly and every time I look at my 110 It reminds me of him.

Tony

Back