At what age for a kids first knife

Just curious when you plan to give or have given your kids there first knife.

Little Bob got his first knives practically as soon as he was born, within weeks. And Santa has brought a new knife or two every year.

Using knives... he first started learning the names of the parts and making simple cuts around age 5.

Before age 5 he was only allowed to use one of these:
VN54000.jpg

As i recently posted in a seperate thread. My son is 2 but was adamant he needed a knife... so I made him one ... sharp as a butter knife but that can be modified when he is ready for it... in my book whether they get a knife isn't the question ... its how sharp the knife is.

Attachments

• 1040233_717790265017276_600647020956457991_o.jpg
    1040233_717790265017276_600647020956457991_o.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 6
As i recently posted in a seperate thread. My son is 2 but was adamant he needed a knife... so I made him one ... sharp as a butter knife but that can be modified when he is ready for it... in my book whether they get a knife isn't the question ... its how sharp the knife is.

Love it! :)

My boy's first knives were a youth model Opinel and a youth Mora. The Opinel has a rounded tip, and the Mora has a guard. :thumbup:

I think it really depends on the kid. My parents had no problem with me having my own knives at 7. I had my own wood carving set at 8, and a science kit with a dissection set at 9 (I was always a weird sciencey kid, now I get to work with all the other weird kids in the lab :) ). But my little sister wasn't even allowed to use kitchen knives unsupervised until she was 10 or so. And honestly no one really felt comfortable letting my brother ave knives until... adulthood.

I think I was 4-5 when my dad gave me my first knife. If I'm not mistaken it was a small black Frost lockback with plastic handles. My grandfather had more knives than you could shake a stick at. I also got my first pony at 4 and before then rode in the saddle with dad, no helmet. Got a Red Ryder around 5 also, and a youth model Rem 870 at around 10. And this was the 90's. My son is almost 2 and I expect he'll get his first knife around 4-5. His grandfather got him a 22 and pony before he was born, may be a couple years for those.

Back