Atc Lagana TAC

I am seriously considering getting one while they are on sale. Can anyone speak of the cutting ability(edge geo) besides throwing? Could it be used as a wilderness too? Could it be used to procure game. What is the purpose of the sharpened beak? Why does the cutting edge have any curve to it?
Thanks
Luke

Luke,

The VTAC doesnt have a razor edge, I bought one and it doesnt have the razor edge that my Hays tomahawk does. While it would be fine for chopping (people or other items), dont plan on using it as you would a knife. The beak could be used to cut when the hawk is used in a hooking movement. Its a great tactical weapon, but I think a small hammer poll camp axe would be much more useful in the woods. Forget using a hawk to take game, you'd never get close enough to any critter I've ever hunted to be reliable in your throw, and its unethical to wound an animal and let it get away. Spike hawks in general look cool, and the spike has potential utility in a fight, but the spike provides no benefit for camping or suvival. Another down side of spike hawks is they are more challenging to carry without accidentally injuring yourself. Dont get me wrong, I love spike hawks and own a few, but when I carry a hawk on operations its a hammer poll, I only need 1 cutting edge to take care of business, and when people tell you the spike is great for punching through a kevlar helmet ask them how long it takes to get the spike out of the helmet afterwards.

Cheers,
Jeb

here's some FAQs on the VTAC from Andy's forum here, including the reasons for the edge configuration:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313277

The spikes in fact do have a great deal of wilderness application, as I found out when I took a RR Spike hawk on a two-week wilderness survival video trip in Idaho back in 2001. The spike hawks saved our asses in seriously sh!tty conditions. I'll search for the reviews we posted back then, it may help you understand how the spike helped. Keep in mind, before I used it in the woods, I also thought the spike was pretty useless for wilderness too! It just surprised me pleasantly.

Brian
So what is the difference between the Ranger spike and the Lagana? Do you own both? What is your preference and how do their cutting abilities compare?
Thanks Again
Luke

Brian
Is the Ranger spike the same as the Next Gen. Ranger? Sorry, I am not down wit' da' Hawk slang. Also what is the ATC warranty?
Thanks much
Luke

The RR is the old-fashioned spike version with the wood handle. That's what we used in the Idaho woods.

There are lots of threads discussing both in the ATC forum -- defintely look through the last two or three months of posts. The RR spike is heavier than the VTAC, and the curved edge is a steeper grind and so bites further when you combine both facotrs. It's also heavier enough to be more tiring for chopping (per stroke) but will probably get the job done faster in the woods. But, the smaller size and lighter weight of the VTAC has many advantages, too. I'd trust it in the wilderness in a heartbeat.

I haven;t had a chance to really test them out side by side yet. Will do so and share, but have done some chopping and woodwork with the VTAC, among other stuff. I posted about the VTAC as a CQB/Entry/Extraction tool in a thread a few days ago, and I talk about the straight edge usefulness in that environment.

I have absolutely no idea what the warranty is, nor do I care. :) My hawks haven't needed anything warranty-wise, nor do I expect the need! They are that outstanding. All I need to know is the character of Andy Prisco: he will stand behind his word and his product no matter what. I'm sure their warranty is on the web site somewhere, though.

Hope this helps!

Back