atlas 30k burner

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by jkevin, Apr 6, 2021.

1. jkevin

jkevin

Mar 27, 2021
    Quick question-- i email atlas about the 30k burner for a 2 brick forge( thanks atlas for the quick response) any way I am going to be doing the stock removal, cutting the bricks in half drilling 2.25 inch hole in them. Is it a better idea to purchase with the regulator or with out and hole placement for the burner on the side or top? thanks

2. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    I would think those are mostly questions to ask Atlas folks. As long as the regulator and hose are reasonable priced I'd order it all as a single unit. Then all you have to do is connect to tank and light it off. Hole placement is "normally" much better from the side and angled toward the rear. BUT - for the type of forge you're making it might be different.

3. scherf68

scherf68 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 12, 2020
    I bought exact burner and regulator together, been using on two brick forge without any issues for last year. I put burner from the side with slight angle like the mini atlas they sell.

4. Metalhead0483

Metalhead0483 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 17, 2008
    I run that same setup myself on my small forge. Works really, really well for day to day forging. You probably already know this, but if you're going to drill the hole down the middle, don't use a "good" drill bit. That fire brick is death on any cutting tools.

5. jkevin

jkevin

Mar 27, 2021
    Thank you i kinda figured but thought i would ask

6. jkevin

jkevin

Mar 27, 2021
    didn't know thanks got a ton of old bits

7. jkevin

jkevin

Mar 27, 2021
    do you have the regulator as well?

8. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 16, 2010
    OK, jumping in here:
    I'm directly out of stock, but I believe USAKnifemaker and IronDungeonForge both have burners available. Get the regulator with it, mine have steel braid around the rubber hose for added safety. Most others don't.
    Here is the original WIP for building the 2 brick forge that is the basis for the Atlas forge
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/virtual-bbq-2-brick-forge-wip.920120/

Metalhead0483 likes this.
  9. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks Charles. I was going to pull that up, but hoped you would post it and about your burners.

My comments:
    The Atlas burners are a very simple and good working burner. It comes as a turn-key device with regulator, hose, and burner. It has been tested and runs right. The price is less than you could make one yourself. It isn't fancy looking, but is quite functional.

While a 2-Brick forge sounds so cheap and simple, it is barely functional for knifemaking. You will do yourself a favor and make a larger forge in most cases. Even a coffee can forge is an increase. Using an Atlas 30K burner/hose/regulator, one foot ( 2 sq.ft.) of 1" kao-wool, a small bag of satanite, a few firebricks, and a free cylindrical object ( around 12-16" long by 6-8" diameter) as the shell will cost less than $100 (including shipping) to build a good simple forge.

SBuzek likes this.
  10. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 16, 2010
    My understanding is that he is making the 2 brick forge styled after the Atlas Forges, which uses two bricks cut in half to create four chamber sections. This provides 1.125" of insulation all around given the 2.25" hole he has mentioned. I'd suggest 2.5" hole, but it won't make a big difference in the beginning. He hasn't discussed what kind of shell, if any, but it should be very serviceable for bladesmithing.

Metalhead0483 likes this.
  11. jkevin

jkevin

Mar 27, 2021
    exactly what i was talking about. plan on getting one of the atlas forges for this winter when i have more free time

12. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    To be clear, I was talking about the hollowed out two-brick forges that are wired together with a hole in the side for the torch/burner. The Atlas Mini has a whole lot more going on that that. I have found the Mini to be a good starter forge, and it is handy as a small forge in the shop for little projects where the big forge is overkill.

13. Metalhead0483

Metalhead0483 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Oh yes. The regulator is a must.

Exactly this. If I'm forging smaller blades (which is about 80% of my work these days) my little two brick setup w/ Charles' 30k burner heats the metal just as well as my bigger Chile Forge setup and uses a WHOLE lot less gas.

14. jkevin

jkevin

Mar 27, 2021
    I'll keep an eye out for them to be in stock