1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Atlas Forges in stock?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Fallbrook Forge, Feb 10, 2020.

1. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Love my Atlas Mini. It's incredibly efficient with propane, and although some of my knives are out-growing it size-wise, I can't ever see replacing it for small-to-medium knives. Just forged a petty in it tonight, in fact.

Storm W and Fallbrook Forge like this.
  2. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick

Jan 23, 2020
    Just a heads up, there are a couple Graham forges in stock now. I ordered one a little earlier.

milkbaby likes this.
  3. Fallbrook Forge

Fallbrook Forge

Jan 1, 2006
    Well, the graham is now almost $500 after shipping. So I went with a mini. I figure I can upgrade later and have a killer little portable forge too.

4. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    The Graham forge seems to have undergone a total redesign and now comes with a blown burner versus a venturi burner (tho both were 100k BTU IIRC).

Fallbrook Forge likes this.
  5. N.W. Gean

N.W. Gean KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 10, 2018
    I have a prototype hellfire double burner forge with this blown burner. It seems to hold lower temps very well. I can run less than 1 psi of gas pressure. Using a cheap 12v fan as a blower is genius. Hats off to Atlas forge.

Atlas Knife Company and milkbaby like this.
  6. Fallbrook Forge

Fallbrook Forge

Jan 1, 2006
    It has, and I’m sure it’s fantastic. Just more than I wanted to spend at the moment. I’m sure I’ll get one someday

Atlas Knife Company likes this.
  7. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company

Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks for the kind words about the forges. Actually, it hasn't gone through as drastic a redesign as you might think. Remember, this is it's 5th revision. I just undid most of the 3rd and 4th revisions. Here's a pic of the original built in 2012 and the 2nd revision a couple years later. Round chamber, side burner, handle, basically the same. Of course, the cast refractory instead of bricks or wool is a huge improvement, and everything is now laser cut. The blown burner is a a definitely improvement, also.

Wish I could remember what happened to that original Graham forge. 2012 11 10 - 09.25.35 2.jpg Forge-Heat--e1458595562570.jpg

milkbaby likes this.
  8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Wish I could remember what happened to that original Graham forge.

I think I have it. I'll take a photo when I am out in the shop this weekend and post it.

Atlas Knife Company likes this.
  9. lanternnate

lanternnate

Nov 5, 2016
    My gen3 (I think) is still chugging strong

[​IMG]

milkbaby likes this.
  10. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company

Feb 16, 2010
    No, I think you have the first version 3 prototype. That thing was a HEAVY beast. I need to send you one of the new ones. . .and an anvil. June, when the new anvils get here, one of the first Graham anvils is coming to you! You wouldn't have been happy with the Atlas prototype that you had, it was too soft. The new ones are 4150, tough as heck, and the Graham are going to be awesome.

11. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company

Feb 16, 2010
    Yep, Gen 3, square body, split down the middle. Gen 4 was top and bottom split. If you're having issues, I have a new burner that will make vast improvements

lanternnate likes this.
  12. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks Charles. That will be great.

13. lanternnate

lanternnate

Nov 5, 2016
    Great, I’ll reach out separately to learn more about the new burner. I love my forge, but if there’s an opportunity for it to be even better I’m interested ;)