Atmos Modification

I love the new Kershaw Atmos, but for some reason it always felt annoying in my pocket, whether main front pocket or jeans coin pocket. I determined it was caused 90 degree sharp edges on the metal and scales and the bulky pocket clip. The former was fixed with some sand paper, and the latter could be removed.

That got me thinking... the perfect Atmos would be just a bit smaller and ride in the coin pocket, and not even need the clip. And that got me tinkering.

Below is a pic of the Atmos in the jeans coin (watch) pocket. As you can see, the Atmos is just a hair too tall.

Atmos_Coin_Pocket.jpg

So, I took off the clip and cut the folded knife down just along the line of the carbon fiber layer of the scale, above the lanyard loop. This is how it looked after the cut:

Cutdown_Atmos.jpg

Not bad at all! The blade still looks useful too, probably more for opening Amazon boxes than self defense though. The grip is still long enough to get a good 3 finger purchase on the handle too:

3_Finger_Grip.jpg

So, how does the knife ride in the coin pocket now? Have a look for yourself...

Cutdown_Atmos_Coin_Pocket.jpg

The clip is no longer needed and is not there to hook on everything it brushes against. Riding in the coin pocket keeps it from interfering with getting things in and out of the front pocket. And both the blade and handle are still useful.

My new EDC!

Well done. I love when people make knives their own.

I will say, however, that I'm more inspired to mod my jeans with "knife pockets" than anything else. :)

Back