ATS-34 vs. 154CM

Assuming the same quality of heat treat, the cleaner manufacture should translate to better performance -- finer grain structure and better toughness, certainly. However, they may be so close that it's a push. I posted this on my Knife Design Function and Test Forum on knfeforums.com, and at least one knifemaker has said that he sees better performance with 154CM. And if Walter Brend, who seems to have a reputation as one of the better heat treaters for ATS-34, has abandoned ATS-34 in favor of 154CM, that speaks worlds.

Joe

Well, me thinks I will be lookin for 154CM from now on (as long as it is appropriate sizes). I assume that the knife supply houses should start to consider stocking more of this product.

Funny, I had heard all the same negative info about 154CM and took it pretty much as gossple. If it wasn't for the information that this forum provides we would all be the poorer.

Darren

Misque,

You probably read "DOUBLE-VACUUM SMELTED" from BG-42. BG42 is vacuum induction melted and vacuum induction remelted. If you're looking for a step up from 154CM and ATS34 then the answer lies in BG42.
smile.gif

-Johnny

I was one of the knifemakers who spoke highly of 154CM on the other forum. What I have tried lately has been clean and well descaled as received, unlike recent lots of ATS-34 I've received in the last few months.

That said, 154CM's bad reputation was deserved. When it came off Mil-Spec certification, it got sloppy and was not as clean and reliable as ATS-34 when it first appeared. Bob Loveless got Hitachi to produce ATS-34, the same formula as 154CM, because Crucible didn't respond to complaints. It appears they are now commited to producing a good product and responding to the knifemaking community. I'm sold. I now use only Crucible steels in my knives. Except for Damascus, I use Crucible 154CM, A2 and CPM-3V exclusively.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

Back