ATS-55 vs VG-10??

Can you fill me in on the differences between these two steels. In your opinion, what do you like better: Zytel Delica or Calypso lightweight(that new one with fish scales). Thank you.
Dan

Here's the deal:

Delica: good, real good.
Calypso Jr. lightweight: better, much better.

ATS55: good, real good.
VG10: better, much better,

Of course, this is all IMHO.

Base your choice on which one feels best in your hand, you cannot possibly go wrong with either one.

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.

Misque summarized my view nicely, but to be a little more specific about the two steels...

ATS-55 is a high-purity/high-carbon stainless steel. It is derived from ATS-34, but with lots less molybdenum. This makes it a lot easier to sharpen, but also less abrasion resistant. It is typically hardened a rockwell point or two lower than ATS-34 around 59-60.

VG-10 is much like ATS-55 with more molybdenum added (but only 1/3 as much as ATS-34) and with cobalt and vanadium added. Something in the VG-10 alloy and heat treatment (I suspect mostly the vanadium) makes the grain structure of the steel very fine. This makes it take a sharper edge and makes it easier to sharpen. It also takes a very nice finish. VG-10 is around the same rockwell as ATS-55. VG-10 steel is also noted for toughness when used in survival knives. I rate it one of the top stainless steels you can buy, since I rate sharpness very highly.

hey, thanks a lot for the info! I've never handled a Calypso before, but i think im gunna get that one.
Dan

I know you asked about two smaller knives BUT you are the one who asked about VG-10 so therefore I want to mention the full size Calypso. It is a larger knife although still quite lightweight. And that big 4 inch blade is flat-ground VG-10. It has the black pocket clip with the gold Spydie and is tip-down. It is one of Sal's favorite knives but it never sold well against "tactical folders" so it is being discontinued. I plan to pick one up between now and Christmas. I keep hoping that somebody is going to find a "close-out" price on them like the G-10 Harpies! I don't think I've seen one for less than $80 yet.

On a completely unrelated note (but a close-out) I saw a Khalsa at the big Tulsa gun show this weekend for a great price. They are usually in the 80's and the lady had it marked $45. It killed me not to buy it but I had already spent my alloted gun show money. What a funky looking knife.

Just to add to Jeff's post I seem to remember Sal said they are hardening VG 10 to RC 61-63.

If VG-10 is superior to ATS-55 in toughness and sharpens better, anyone know why Spyderco is going to CPM-440V instead of VG-10?

I'll have to dig around for Cliff Stamps steel comparison, which I believe included VG-10 and CPM-440V?

Do those clip screw inserts flare out in the back so they dont pop right out if the clip got snagged on something?

Longden,
CPM440V was not a part of the question that was asked.
Of course 440V is better than the two mentioned steels. I don't think anyone who has used the three of them would contest that.

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.

Just to add a comment on the "big picture" about all the different steels Spyderco uses...

Spyderco makes some of their knives in-house in Colorado, and has the others made by a variety of knifemakers in Seki City. I get the impression that part of this is because no one knifemaker there could handle all the knives Spyderco needs, and perhaps, say, one maker is particularly good at doing linerlocks, another at shaping micarta handles, etc.

Anyway, IIRC, Sal made comments a while ago to the effect that they were in the process of reviewing their product line, upgrading steels among other things, and I think one implication was that the choice of steel in each case was partly influenced by what the corresponding knifemaker is equipped to work on (i.e. the tougher a steel is in a finished knife, the tougher it was to grind, drill, sharpen, etc.)

------------------
Carl /\/\/\ AKTI #A000921

Think this through with me ... Let me know your mind
Wo-oah, what I want to know ... is are you kind?
-- Hunter/Garcia, "Uncle John's Band"

Carl's description is quite accurate. I would also add that some steels are not available in higher volumes, and there is also often 6 months lead time required to get steels as many of the steels we use are special order and not produced for inventory.

sal

Back