ATS-55

Hi all. Am within an inch of winning the arm-wrestling contest with myself, and will order the Goddard from SMKW. In the link on that subject, Guyon says ATS-55 easy to sharpen, holds edge nicely.

Can anyone be a bit more specific than that? According to one of the dealers I just checked, the ATS-55 is @60-62 on Rockwell. With high carbon and that hard, would think it would hold edge extremely well. Has that been anyone's experience, or have you-all been disappointed?

Help please?

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Bugs, I was disappointed with ATS-55 performance in the G-10 Police. I ended up sawing material more than slicing. Sharp enough but not as effortless as other models.

This was partly why I got an old Gin 1/G-2 Police, much smoother in cutting. Perhaps a fluke?

Some of that might be due to the edge grind. I have a Lum (Ti) that is ground thin. After some good use (to much cardboard) it still cut a peice or notbook paper in two while falling. Only knife i have ever personnaly seen that happen with. Still sharp as heck. I think the grind and sharpening might be the source of your initial problems (factory edge?, hmmm.).

I think ATS-55 is fine, if not quite as nice as others, still a great blade material.

Compared to ATS-34, ATS-55 seems to take just as good an edge, holds the edge not quite as well, and resharpens a little easier. All in all about an even match.

Mike

Back