ATT: Chris, Anne! Will dual thumb studs become a regular feature?

Hello!

just wondering if dual thumb studs will be standard someday! Also how long is the wait for a small Sebenza with dual studs now?

------------------
Markus Blattner

Please NO!!!

I may be the only one thinking like this, but one of the best things about Sebenza is it's design. Sure quality is supposed to be tops and the materials and service of CRK and it's definately a functional user. But the design is IMHO the main point (in all ways).

Now, why would I not want to see the dual thumpstuds to be standard... it just ruins the lines of the design. Simple as that. The handles of Sebenza are very classic with clean simple lines everywhere. No fancy contours or round offs (perhaps not the most ergonomic handle...). The dual thumpstuds themselves don't break this, but the additional cutout for the other side very badly breaks the lines. Suddenly there is a strange cutout with no balancing feature anywhere else in the knife. It just doesn't belong in the design - it seems like somebody dremelled it there afterwards! Chris should design a completely new handle to accommodate the other thumpstud.

Sorry, it may be functional, but it kills the best classical design I've seen in a knife. Might as well design some totally different and 'ergonomic' handle with lots of different rounded countours for it. I'm definately thinking of getting one (or a few), but I will not want them to have the ugly dual thumpstuds (or the cutout to be specific). Have it as option for those who want it, but keep the lines simple and clean! The small things make Sebenza perfect, and this is one of those small things.

Hugo.

[This message has been edited by Hugo (edited 02 December 1999).]

Is it possible to get the other thumbstud put of without shaving out the other side?

------------------
-Humpty

"Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty dumpty had a great fall.
Maybe Humpty should of had a knife."

There is a image of the dual thumpstuds at http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/000063.html . It seems that it would fit there, but it might be hard to use if the ball bearing is very strong. BTW, I don't have any knives with thumpstuds, only holes, but can't the Sebenza be opened with left hand forefinger - pull the blade open? If it can be then one can still open the Sebenza with left hand... it might not be fast, but then again Sebenza isn't really about being tactical
smile.gif

Hugo.

ps. No, I don't think I like the new cutout under the clip either. It's quite well hidden under the clip, but what if one want's to take the clip out... I do have a picture of the cutout somewhere, but can't post it here now.

That cutout is really a routed out bevel, and does not change the handle profile at all. It does allow you to sweep the blade open by giving better purchase on the side of the stud, and even improves the grip slightly.

I still think the clip should be an option, but to each his own.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

I disagree that the cutout destroys the lines.

I'd admit that when I first had it done I thought the same as you. Now it has grown on me, and sooner or later I will have it done on my new small.

The new clip area with insert.
cutout2.jpg

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

St. James, is that stupid looking cutout under the clip standard on all the new Sebenzas? I hope not, I really don't care for it at all. Even if it doesn't weaken the locking slab, it LOOKS like it does. The appeal of the Sebenza to me is pure SOLID PERFECTION. With a heavy ephasis on the SOLID and the PERFECTION! :)

Kal El, I understand it is the new standard design. Blame the clip lovers.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

stjames, yes it's just a bevel, but that's just the thing I don't like. No other bevels on Sebenza - not on the other side either, just the perfect looking cutout.

And thanks for the clip cutout image... now I'm sure I would not like it. Why even make the clip insert as the knife really looks.. stupid (sorry
smile.gif
) without the clip? I think I'd leave the clip on even if I wouldn't use it.

Hugo.

The only thing that has stopped me from getting dual thumbstuds is that it may catch and open in my pocket. Other than that I don't see any reason not too.

I've tried a lot of different ways of opening my sebenza with my left hand (with one thumbstud) and it is almost impossible. It can be done but it is flimsy and unreliable.

The cut out supposedly increases lock strength, because it centers the lock bar as opposed to having it to one side. There were also some complaints that the clip is too small and would not fit thick clothing well, so Chris came up with a cutout. Can't please everyone.

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

Well, I'll agree with the majority.
The new bevel looks like ----, destroys the look of solidness as Superman says.
Makes the clip insert look like a patch, one that doesn't even blend with the lines of the knife.
It is my feeling CR should redesign, maybe go back to the old style to keep the looks of solidness on the exterior of the handle.
It's funny, my old style profile is the best looking design.
Better yet, just make the clip an option, leave the lockbar sterile on the outside.

Guys, I have a minty large dual stud without the cut-out on the clip. I wear thick clothes and would trade mine for a dual stud with a cutout. I might even sweeten the deal with some moola! Also I have an old style handle with a BG-42 blade, no clip that I would trade for something in the Sebenza or Darrel Ralph Apogee line with a clip. I like clips!

------------------
"Hi, I'm Fish, and I'm a Sebenzaholic..."
copfish@aol.com

Now repeat after me: "Dual thumbstuds will not be a regular feature"
No offense but I don't like the way it looks, same goes for the "bevel" under the clip. I am glad I got mine before that change took place.
But as always, to each his/her own.
Peace.

------------------
The vague and tenuous hope that GOD is too kind to punish the ungodly has become a deadly opiate for the conscience of millions.

*A. W. Tozer

2 Cor 5:10

[This message has been edited by Scarman (edited 03 December 1999).]

I have recently purchased a large Sebenza from Chi Cutlery (thanks James) an I am very glad that it does not have that ugly cutout. I know that it does not weaken the lock but if I wanted to use the knife without the clip the symmetry of the scales would be broken. I lucked out....

------------------
Dale Richmond
AKTI Number A000949

I agree the cutout doesn't look all that appealing, but then again most of it would be covered up by the clip anyway.

I'm sure if you ordered a Sebenza from Chris directly he can make one in the "old" style for you.

Personally, I like the dual thumbstud with the bevel- I wouldn't have bought the Sebenza if I couldn't have this feature. That is one rule I have about folders- I want to be able to open the knife with either hand.

Back