Attach Images to Your Threads/Comments

Hey all, I'm not sure whether or not there is a tutorial here on the BladeForums explaining how to attach photos you've taken to threads and comments (heck, I could be posting this in the wrong section as well), but here I'll go step-by-step to explain the process to those with lesser forum experience. Just to clarify, this will work on Macintosh, Windows and Linux based computers.

Uploading Photos You've Taken

Step 1 - Getting Your Files

I'll assume you know how to navigate to your pictures from your computer using a zip drive or email attachment. Once you get your file onto your hard drive, you can make things easier in later steps by dragging it to the desktop. In this picture, I have dragged "dsc_55671.jpg" from the finder to the desktop.

x2l8yp9.jpg

On Windows, your flash drive can be found in "My Computer." Inside will be your flash drive, which will have the name you or the factory has set.

Step 2 - Locating Your Image Hosting Site

For the next step, there are a number of Image Sharing websites such as Flickr, Photobucket and Tinypic. I prefer to use Imgur, as it is the most user-friendly and least monetized. It can be found by simply googling "Imgur."

P18CUpJ.png

Step 3 - Uploading Your Picture(s)

Click on the "Computer" box located under "Upload Images."

VvNe7YS.png

Highlight your picture which you have placed on the desktop.

P8xfnLK.png

Then click "Open," and "Start Upload" and your photo will automatically upload.

3UvKISD.png

Step 4 - Copying the File Code

Once your picture has been uploaded, the right-hand side of the screen will provide you with multiple URLs. You want to copy the "BBCode (message boards & forums)" box. Now you'll notice, Imgur provides the formatting code for you by surrounding the link in

9wEulDo.png

Just paste the code wherever you want your picture on the forums, and there you go!

yEl9oV1.png

Uploading Photos From The Internet

Step 1 - Locating Your Picture

Uploading pictures from the internet is much easier, all you have to do is find the source link to the original photo and copy the link.

UCsqgCD.jpg

Step 2 - Pasting Your Link Into Your Post

Using what we learned above, we can now add the
tag to our source link to add an image. All you have to do is paste the link and surround it with those tags or select it and click the button of a picture in the advanced post editor.

fNnMIGt.png

Adding a Thumbnail

The mods will appreciate it if you add thumbnails to your threads to save space. It allows people to hover over the image to enlarge it for a better view, I've decided not to do so for this post due to the inconvenience of all the photos being at the bottom (I may have to change that later, because this is a really long post). All you have to do is get the picture to your desktop, and click the paper clip icon to upload them via thumbnail.

d5c6l5c.png

Then click "Add Files" on the new module that opens, and select your pictures from the desktop. It will automatically upload them and you'll have them attached at the bottom of your post.

wC2bPCE.png

That will conclude this tutorial; sorry for the inconveniently long post, but everyone has to learn to navigate the forums correctly at some point. Thanks.

Very nice, thanks. We also have this:

The first two instructions will get you up and running. The next two are in more detail for more complex situations.

1. Paid members can upload from their computers, but anyone can open a photo hosting account.
I use www.photobucket.com . Download your pictures and they give you a URL for each picture.
Use the fourth URL, with the tags already in place. Copy & Paste that in your post here.

2. Another way: go to http://www.imgur.com and upload your image.
After uploading, select the BBCode option - it starts with . Copy & Paste to your thread.

3. You should also [URL="http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/353471-READ-THIS-FIRST!-How-to-ask-questions-that-get-answered"]READ THIS FIRST! How to ask questions that get answered[/URL] which includes photo posting instructions.

4. For a detailed TUTORIAL: Displaying your photographs on BladeForums
[url]http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/742638-TUTORIAL-Displaying-your-photographs-on-BladeForums[/url]

Just to be sure I understand- the picture file is actually located elsewhere and is not contained the the BF data?
BF only allows to link to the other location for images?

Correct?

Just to be sure I understand- the picture file is actually located elsewhere and is not contained the the BF data?
BF only allows to link to the other location for images?

Correct?

Yes, except in the case where you choose to upload a thumbnail image.

can someone do a phone tutorial?

Here's a compilation of threads about posting pictures. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1394713-How-do-I-post-pictures-from-a
I use the Photobucket app. Take a picture with your smart phone and then upload it via the app. The app will then provide the IMG links needed to post in a thread. Just copy and paste.

You could just use the Photobucket site (or any other hosting site) from the browser in your phone. It will work pretty much the same but the app does simplify the process some.

Wow; most of my other forms I belong to, make it much easier, here you have to jump through hoops, and then your almost there, most of my pics are in my mobile device, I'm going to have to get basic tutoring, and bring computer skills up to par...
Eventually I'll get it figured out, however for the time being, I can't post pics !

I am also grateful for such good information. By the way, you found a good way out of the situation when you don't know how to upload a photo, I didn't even know how to take a screenshot. My level of personal computer use is very low.

Back