Attaching a Clip to a SAK

I recall seeing a post earlier about someone who modded their OHT to be plain edge and to have a clip. I really liked that idea for a SAK and began to wonder if it would be feasible for a smaller SAK (91 or 84 mm).

I used the Victorinox Sportsman II largely because I got it for about 6 dollars on sale at Walgreens. I figured if I screwed up the investment lost was minimal. I straightened and then bent a paperclip to the shape that I wanted for my clip. I used a paperclip largely because I didn't have any other type of wire or clip lying around. Additionally, I figured it would be of small enough diameter where it shouldn't affect the structural integrity of the scale Pictures of this project can be seen here.

1. I removed the scale from the knife. I used the can opener from the Vic. Soldier to pry under and pop off the scale. I simply kept working the can opener around the scale to prevent cracking or breaking. More information about removing the scales can be found here. Also to note, once you remove the scales you can re-attach them even though the link states that they are broken.

2. I used my lighter (a butane torch similar to the blazer insert for Zippos) to heat the end of the straightened paperclip. I pushed that end through the scale. Also something to note, I pushed from the inside of the scale to the outside to make sure I didn't hit any of the structures or put a hole where the tweezers should be.

3. I repeated the heating process till I had two holes next to each other.

4. I bent the paperclip in the shape I wanted it. And then forced the two ends into the holes I just made.

5. I bent down the ends into the recess of the scale.

6. I reattached the scale and voila. It works

Since this trial run went well I am going to do this with some of my other SAKs and this time I'll actually use a strong wire or maybe an actual clip. The clip holds rather well, especially for being what it is. I had the knife clipped to my pocket for several days and not once did it fall out. With that said, I wasn't doing anything too wild-n-crazy and I am sure the knife would slip if say you were rappelling down the side of a cliff. You might also notice that the clip is on the side of the shield emblem, this was done solely because the other scale was modified to hold the pressurized ink pen and I wasn't sure if there was room to attach the clip.

ed. to correct second link

Back