Attempting Fedin/Skanf throwing with mixed results

Hi Throwers:
I've been "attempting" to utilize this style for a few months now. The videos on the interwebs (where everything is always true and easy) make it look almost like magic. On those rare occasions that it really works for me, it IS almost mystical. I realize the biomechanics enhance this action. However, I always end up with a sore shoulder. :( Perhaps it is galloping senility? I'm trying to relax my body and shoulder, but continue to experience soreness and uneven success.

I will say that the role of the index finger is increasingly critical. It almost "snaps" the knife towards the target. That being said, I find the whipping motion at the end of the throw to be a physiological irritant; basically, it hurts over time. Any thoughts on this, slingers?

A lot of folks don’t pay enough attention to strengthening the shoulder socket until it starts to hurt. Throwing puts relatively large strain on the shoulder muscles and joint in a very short time, and soreness is a common side effect. Baseball players warm their arms up before they try and throw anything for real, and even though we are not going for that level of exertion it pays to put in some prep time. It will also take time and effort for the ligaments and tendons in the hand to toughen up too.

Great advice, as usual, Sarc. With a son playing travel baseball who warms up religiously, one would think I would be more diligent. I agree that a pre-throwing routine will assist in trying to keep impacted body parts functioning.

I also think (<--- key word "think") that the ballistic release many Fedin throwers use might be part of the issue. Many, but not all, of these throwers whip the hand back upon release to "fire" the knife forward. Interestingly, not all of this style do so. Tom Tom, who appears on a popular video site, even mentions that he injured his shoulder while learning this style. He now doesn't have an extreme release motion, though he also mentions that he has become more fluid and relaxed, so there's that part of the puzzle, as well.

So... now I'm making sure to warm up, stretch, AND complete some ROM (range of motion) movements. Hopefully that will mitigate any boo-boos my obsession creates.:) Keep on slingin!

Back