Attn: Sal Glesser

I own 4 Spydercos the last one being a C48. When I bought it I was in awe of it. But after handling it for awhile I discovered that it does not fit my hand as well as I would like. I know I should have realized this before buying it.
The problem is the intended use.When I take a hold of it in a normal fashion the hump in the bottom of the handle hits me in the middle finger.But if I were to gut and or skin an animal I would turn the knife and rest my thumb along side of the first choil.This way it is a perfect fit. I don't skin and or gut many animals.
Here is my idea...grind and or cut the handle and liner lock so the hump is a little bit further back so it hits between my middle finger and ring finger . Is this possible?
I need to know if this would weaken the lock.
And also what tools are needed and what speed to run them.

I can live with the knife the way it is but it would fit me better if I modified it in this way.

PS... This is why the prototype Lynx is such a good design. In the c48 I would say the average person could not get the index finger and the middle finger in the first choil comfortably.

Your help would be appreciated.

I haven't handled a c48 because of the price, however, I got a c49(smaller version) cheap at work.

I find the most comfortable position for the hump is between the index and middle finger. The end of the handle rests on the pinky, the index finger ends right above the hump... hug the handle into the meaty part at the bottom of your thumb(angled from normal position).

I've used this grip for food prep, and can gets some pretty good force on it.

You described the exact modification that was done on my Wegner. It is very comfortable and was done so that it looks and feels smooth and natural. I bought it from another forumite by the name of Dirk.
You might want to talk to him about how he did it.

Can also help if one grabs the Wegner with the index finger near the rear of the cutout. There's plenty of room left for 3 fingers on the remaining handle.

Please guys, let BM use #s. I've worked hard to learn the names of most/all the Spdyercos, but my memory won't extend to model #s. All of the SPdyercos have actual names.

Hi Freedom.. The mod should work ok. a dremel would work, or even a file.

sal

Back