Attributes of a Truly Great Instructor

Over the past few weeks I've had the opportunity to discuss among friends what makes up a good instructor, and what makes up a poor one.

Some interesting thoughts, behaviors, and attributes have come out of these talks.

I'd like to query the Forum.

What, to you, are the attributes you seek out in a truly great instructor? In this case, a teacher of the Arts, regardless of the Art taught?

Sierra912

One who cares about his students before himself (or herself, if this applies).

One who pushes to get the best out of his students, so that they grow as martial artists, warriors, and human beings.

One who is quiet, not putting on a show all the time, but inspires nonetheless. Puts things in action more than words -- an example.

One whose honesty is unquestioned -- who never wavers from word to deed, always congruent.

One who is humble -- because the truly experienced warriors are confident enough to know that they don't know everything, and are not afraid to admit it.

One who learns as much from his students as he teaches -- because his attitude is one of sharing knowledge.

Of course, one who actually has knowledge of the art he professes to teach!

These are just a few of the things I can think of...

A particularly valuable skill in an instructor is the ability to determine how a student will learn what it is you are trying to teach. Some need things explained/demonstrated differently than others, being able to figure out what it will take for them to understand is a wonderful skill.

As the old adage goes "If you can't do, teach." I don't agree with that. The very best attribute of an instructor, not necessarily a teacher, is Practice what you preach. Example: I do not want anybody trying to instruct me on how to apply a certain hue to canvas with a certain brush stroke if they haven't logged several hundred thousand brush strokes themselves. I attended a firearms seminar where the "instructor" was pontificating on the finer points of the merits of a 1911-style pistol. He admitted to carrying and using only revolvers. I kept my mouth shut for the entire seminar and politely left the class very shortly thereafter.

IMHO, the main 3 attributes are:

1. Knowing the subject matter. If you don't know it, you can't teach/instruct it.

2. Knowing how to teach/instruct. Different methodologies may be required for different students.

3. Being motivated/passionate about teaching/instructing. If you don't care about the subject matter or your students you won't do a very good job of teaching/instructing.

If you're missing any of the legs from a three-legged stool, you'll most likely fall over. :D

An instructor who still considers himself a student. One who is willing to travel many hours each week to learn from others, even after a half century of training.

I'll add knowing the student.

I'm doing a Masters in Philosophy right now, and my Supervisor is AMAZING. Soemtimes I've gone to him with questions, and he's told me to F#%K off. Other times he's sat down with me and we've chatted. The times he's told me to go F#%K off, he knew I needed to go and think about the problem myself, and I would just be using him as a "crutch" so to speak. The times I truly was stuck, he has sat with me and we talked and I grew. I told him it was amazing how he knew what I needed, and didn't just give me what I wanted. Being able to read your students and give them what they need, not what they want, is a necessity.

Someone who is highly skilled, has a genuine love for their art, and a desire to "pass it on".

Someone who would (and some do) teach for free if they could. In this same vein, someone who would do everything possible to make training available for a deserving student who was down on their luck.

Someone who is truly honorable, and expects the same from their students.

I always liked the motto of the American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers: "Those who teach, learn."

"Qui discet, doscet," I think. Don't make me go upstairs and look it up!

Karl

A great teacher will guide you along the journey which he knows you must make alone. He won't hold your hand but he will point the way.

He understand your character and even more so your weaknesses. He does not belittle you but let you transform your weaknesses into strengths.

He is patient without losing his focus on you. Time is irrelevant to him because he knows teaching you requires no timetable.

He will use his life as an example for you to see and learn.

He will sharpen your focus even as he sharpens his own.

He knows what he does for you is as significant as he is doing it to himself.

If you falter, he won't catch you, but he also won't leave you. He will wait for you to pick yourself up and then he urges you to begin again.

When his task of educating you is complete, he will leave you as quietly as he had arrived, unannounced.

For the rest of your life, you will remember him in so many ordinary ways even as you begin to teach others who come before you.

The teacher ultimately teaches you to be a teacher yourself, and the circle is complete.

Back