Aus-8A or 1095CV

Actaully,if I have heard correctly,Carbon 5 is not a blade steel, but just the advertising name Cold Steel used to describe their carbon steel, which could have been many steels at one time or another. The blades themselves were made by Camillus (maybe others) and was the same steel used in the Becker line before Camillus went out of business. That would make Carbon 5 the same as 0176. Cold Steel does not make their own knives but contracts out to others now in Japan, and China. The SK-5 is also a good steel according to others.

I agree with all of the above. I only said carbon V because it is more known than 1076.
I have heard people here say that SK-5 is to 1080 what 1095 is to 1076. Same carbon content with vanadium and chromium added

1095CV is Carbon 5. I bet if you had put that in the title there would be a lot more people choosing it over AUS8

the same steel used in the Becker line before Camillus went out of business. That would make Carbon 5 the same as 0176.

Cold Steel's Carbon V was made by Camillus and is the same as 0170-6C, which was also made by Camillus and which was the Becker Knives blade steel.
(It was also used in the Camillus Terzuola Close Quarter Battle Model 3.)

Carbon V/0170-6C had a truly exceptional heat treatment and was a variant of 1095CV.
(This is info I've gathered from various sources - including Phil Gibbs who used to work for Camillus - and also moderated the Camillus forum here briefly),

Reactions: vba
pretty tough call as i like both very much, but i'd probably go with 1095.

1095 all the way for me. Heat treat is a major part of getting performance out of the blade though and thus not all carbon steels are the same across manufacturers. I have never been able to get a stainless steel as sharp as my carbon blades.

They do patina over time. However, I have come to look at a well worn patina as a sign of a user knife with a great set of character marks. Keep your pretty shiney things for the display case thank you.

My best cutter is a little opinel #8 carbon knife. My ratcutlery RC-4 is awesome at edge retention and durability. As others have said, if you use the knife the blade doesn't give you any problems.

Just one man's opinion, but I'll take 1095 over AUS any day. And especially for a knife that toughness.

Tabeeb762 is quite correct. Ka-Bar's 1095-CV (or called by its proper name, 1095-CroVan) is 0170-6C (50100-b), otherwise called Carbon V, or simply CV in the case (pun intended) of knife companies giving it cute, proprietary names, the only difference being the heat treat, and I'm sure Ka-Bar does a fine job in this regard. I'd take it (1095-CV, or plain Jane 1095) over AUS-8 (or AUS-8A, or simply 8A) for a survival knife anytime, unless I specifically knew that I was going to be spending a lot of time near water, in which case I'd take H-1.;)

Regards,
3G

P.S. Chances are, if you see the letters C and V used in the proprietary name of a Carbon steel, you're most likely dealing with 0170-6C.

Last edited:
Tabeeb762 is quite correct. Ka-Bar's 1095-CV (or called by its proper name, 1095-CroVan) is 0170-6C (50100-b), otherwise called Carbon V, or simply CV

From what I've heard & read over the years, Carbon V is the same as Camillus/Becker 0170-6C; it's different from Ka Bar's 1095CV.

For example, Phil Gibbs once posted here that "Kabar does not have access to 0170-6C; so they will not be able to do Beckers the "Camillus Way"!"
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5079205#post5079205

Also:

"Carbon V definately came first. It was the brainchild of the Metal God, Dan Maragni, & was, in my opinion, what put Cold Steel on the map all those years ago.

When Cold Steel came to Camillus to make their carbon steel knives, they did not want to pay for the vast amount of steel that had to be purchased in order to have a custom steel made to their specifications.
Consequently Cold Steel agreed that Camillus could also use the steel (& pay them a royalty, I believe) but could not call it Carbon V.

I came up with the name 0170-6C, based on an almost close (but NOT) steel produced by Sharron Steel called 0170-6."
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4301656#post4301656

Last edited:
Why do people fight over this stuff? It's so petty. Buy the best you can afford & enjoy your new knife..simple, no?

Why do people fight over this stuff? It's so petty.

I agree with you about that.

But I think this thread is simply a discussion of preference for one of two blade steels - and a getting to the facts about just what those steels actually are. :)

(That's the way I see it, at least.)

The resulting information, I think, can be useful and helpful.

Last edited:
From what I've heard & read over the years, Carbon V is the same as Camillus/Becker 0170-6C; it's different from Ka Bar's 1095CV.

For example, Phil Gibbs once posted here that "Kabar does not have access to 0170-6C; so they will not be able to do Beckers the "Camillus Way"!"
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5079205#post5079205

The information I received regarding Ka-Bar's 1095-CroVan being 0170-6 came from a knife publication writer who had spoken to an engineer at Ka-Bar. Unless Phil Gibbs now works for Ka-Bar, I don't know how he could possibly know what steels Ka-Bar has access to.

Thanks for the info, Rifon2.

Regards,
3G

Last edited:
Why do people fight over this stuff? It's so petty. Buy the best you can afford & enjoy your new knife..simple, no?

Who exactly do you see "fighting"?:confused: The OP asked for opinions on which of two specified steels was better for a survival knife, and, as with anything else that is subjective, different people gave different answers.

Why people feel the need to post comments like yours, that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand and actually detract from the conversation, I'll never fully comprehend.

Regards,
3G

I don't know what 1095CV, 50100B, Carbon V, CV, 0170-6C, or 0170-6 really is. I've read that Maragni developed it, or that it was a Sharon recipe, Phil Gibbs named the 0170-6C, Camillus got someone else to make it when Sharon went under (even though it was different?), that the heat treat was part and parcel and it made the steel designation different, probably some other stuff that confused me too much to remember.

You may very well be correct in the information you received regarding 1095 Cro-Van. I was able to find its elements listed on A. G. Russell's steel chart:
http://www.agrussell.com/knife_information/steel_guide/

A. G.'s steel chart lists it as having the following breakdown:

1095 Cro-Van:
C: 0.95-1.1, Cr: 0.40-0.60, Mn: 0.30-0.50, Ni: 0.25, V: 0.161, Mo: 0.06

which is similar to, but not identical to, the breakdown I remember having seen for Carbon V and CV (0170-6 or 50100-b).

Regards,
3G

Who exactly do you see "fighting"?:confused: The OP asked for opinions on which of two specified steels was better for a survival knife, and, as with anything else that is subjective, different people gave different answers.

Why people feel the need to post comments like yours, that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand and actually detract from the conversation, I'll never fully comprehend.

Regards,
3G

AUS 8 is better! Sheesh pal, get a grip.

Just remember, Carbon 5 was only a publicity name given by Cold Steel to the steel in its line of knives, and it was the same as 0176, the same steel that Beckers were made from at the Camillus factory. You will not see,should not see, others stating that their steel is Carbon 5, but rather plain 0176, or what they may call it. Some companies will try to make you believe that their products have a new wonder steel, when it is the proven steel, and they just changed a name. This is not to say that some companies do not use new steels (such as powder steels, etc.), but just becareful about those who claim they have a unique steel to their products. And I believe Kabars is different from 0176.

Just remember, Carbon 5 was only a publicity name given by Cold Steel to the steel in its line of knives, and it was the same as 0176, the same steel that Beckers were made from at the Camillus factory. You will not see,should not see, others stating that their steel is Carbon 5, but rather plain 0176, or what they may call it. Some companies will try to make you believe that their products have a new wonder steel, when it is the proven steel, and they just changed a name. This is not to say that some companies do not use new steels (such as powder steels, etc.), but just becareful about those who claim they have a unique steel to their products. And I believe Kabars is different from 0176.

This is just a bit off topic,

Any one who has the money can make up their own formula and have it made. You only need enough money to pay for 20,000 to 40,000 pounds of steel, probably up front. Carbon-V is a registered trademark and cannot be used by others. The formula for the steel was not patented and anyone who wants can have another 40,000 pounds made. I am told that the quality was in the heat-treat.

I saw my first K-Bar combat knife in 1946 and until this thread have never heard of one breaking at the handle.

Back