Austalian Laws ban "Plastic Knives"

New Australian laws for the state of Victoria ban knives made completly of plastic/carbon fibre. Even knives like the Cat Tanto by Cold Steel are now prohibited. It's times like these that I wish all law makers would focus on those that break the laws rather than those who abide by them!!!!

-------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry the biggest stick you can!

Don't hold your breath waiting for that wish to come true!

------------------
Although it does not mindfully keep guard in the small mountain fields, the scarecrow does not stand in vain
Bukkoku

Does that include throw-away flatware?

I can see the the SWAT teams rolling up to pic-nic's all over Australia.

They're illegal in CA as well.

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"To give is a need, to receive is mercy." - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

I have yet to read a single story of a murder or attack being committed by a knife such as the CAT. Everyone who has reviewed this knife has said it is a POS. Where do these lawmakers get this crap. Personally, I think whoever proposed this law should have all the knives in their kitchen confiscated. They obviously spend more time thinking about the harmful uses of a knife than any normal person would. They are therefore dangerous and should be condemned to use only sporks for the rest of their lives.

------------------
Stay back! or I'll...OUCH...cut myself.

Steel,

On a related topic; the last time I was in AUS, I found it very difficult to find a decent shop that had a good range of knives.

It appears that in the wake of the shooting massacre in Tasmania, strict controls have gone on the sale on guns, and this has meant that many gun shops are closing - and as a side-effect, reducing outlets for the sale of quality knives.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by siggy:
Steel,

On a related topic; the last time I was in AUS, I found it very difficult to find a decent shop that had a good range of knives.

It appears that in the wake of the shooting massacre in Tasmania, strict controls have gone on the sale on guns, and this has meant that many gun shops are closing - and as a side-effect, reducing outlets for the sale of quality knives.
</font>

yep... there are a coulple of places in sydney... as in the city of sydney, but all still have a limited range of quality knives.

------------------
Conn
When your life flashes before your eyes...
makes sure there's somrthing interesting to watch.

G'day Fellas, I have a copy of the Weapons Control Act in front of me along with the amendments from last year. It is interesting reading to say the least.

Plastic knives are not banned. Only non metallic blades such as ceramic are banned.

There are also rumours flying around the various knife stores here in Melbourne that one-hand openers and tanto knives are now banned. This is not the case.

Any knife that has a device or mechanisim in or on the HANDLE used to open the knife is banned.

Any knife with a double edged blade is banned.

Any stabbing device with 3 sides is banned, ie the Cold Steel darts etc.

There is absolutely no mention of blade lengths at all.

Just about every martial arts weapon has been banned.

There is quite an extensive list and I won't list them all but I thought the above might be of interest.

The bottom line is There is a lot of misunderstanding and knee-jerk reactions to these new laws and the local newspapers have not helped at all. There was an article in the Herald Sun last year with a photo of some knives taken in a raid in Dandenong. Out of all the knives( about 30) in the picture only two were banned under the new laws. The main reason for the raid was other weapons from the martial arts genre.

Just remember to carry your knives wisely, out of sight and no where near nightclubs. Do not leave your knife clipped to your pocket, I can spot a knife clip a mile away and so can most other LEO's.

There are some LEO's who are very unaware of knife laws so don't give them any ammo and go around advertising your knives. Be smart about it.

Cheers

Pete

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PETER ERVIN:
Plastic knives are not banned. Only non metallic blades such as ceramic are banned.
</font>

Isn't plastic non metallic?

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"To give is a need, to receive is mercy." - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

Back