Australia (NSW)?

tyr_shadowblade

Gold Member
I recently received a potential job offer in NSW.

Very confused about the laws there... it appears everything is illegal in Australia? That can't be right.

What type of knives are lawful to carry aside from small no lock folders, and are there exemptions for those with disabilities?

How about blackjacks or saps?

And what are the cops like there? Do they just randomly stop and frisk people or conduct random car searches? Been hearing stories which seem to indicate that, as there's no 2nd or 4th amendment there.

Thank you.

I believe I had read in another thread, self defense is not a valid reason to have a knife if the police ask you why you have a knife. Valid reasons include use on a job, hunting, but it up the police how they determine if it is lawful. But knives like SA are ok as long as they do not lock. Take it with a grain of salt, there are good threads here that about knife laws in different states and nations.

Very confused about the laws there... it appears everything is illegal in Australia? That can't be right.

What type of knives are lawful to carry aside from small no lock folders, and are there exemptions for those with disabilities?

And what are the cops like there? Do they just randomly stop and frisk people or conduct random car searches? Been hearing stories which seem to indicate that, as there's no 2nd or 4th amendment there.

Thank you.
You would have to check in NSW specifically, but generally you need a valid reason to carry most knives in Australia eg. camping or fishing etc.

I'm in QLD, and here you can carry a SAK or a "pen knife" without needing a reason other than utility but some states are stricter. Carrying anything for the purpose of self-defense would land you in trouble.

As far as police, again you'll have to check for NSW specifically but unless you are acting like a idiot or looking suspicious generally you won't be randomly searched. I don't know anyone who has been randomly searched just acting normally unless they are in a club precinct or airport or something. The police do generally have the power to search you for basically no reason though.

Keep in mind as well that the majority of the general public in Australia is quite anti-knife carry and there is a good chance you'll have at least some disapproving glances if you were to use anything other than a small slipjoint around sheeple. There has been a lot of media coverage in the last few years over knife crime and there are constant knee jerk calls in the media demanding knife and machete sales banned and all sorts of other rubbish.

As mentioned, legal carry is activity-based, so if you are in your kilt and sporran, a dirk in the sock is totally fine, but you are even safer if you have a piper with you. If you are working you can carry what you need to work. Pocket checks at bars is a pretty common thing after dinner, and depending on the place, all day. Sydney is going to be very different from the rural areas.
I've only once ever had someone question my carrying a knife, and that was because the only tool I had on hand to trim a tag were the scissors on my Vic Swisstool, which in fairness is pretty bulky, but most people know that anyone wearing working clothes has a box cutter of some variety on hand.
There is so little knife crime here that when something happens there is effort put in to make it seem like it was extra bad. It's almost always the normal "two dudes don't like each other and finally one of them goes over the edge"

I do believe that for one-handed openers there is a disability allowance, as I think that was part of the big push to allow folders back into the country several years ago. But as far as I know only QLD has the swiss army knife exemption "due to their obvious utility purpose" So you would have to just check NSW law.

I noted that brass knuckles are specifically prohibited, as are: batons, mace, stun guns, nunchaku, throwing stars, cat o 9 tails sex toys, and those stupid rape alarms with the siren and strobe... but absolutely no mention of blackjacks or saps. There was a vague reference to "anything designed as a weapon" though, so I reckon they're illegal as well.

How about a straight razor though? I carried a razor for many years, and while rather fragile make for a passable light utility blade.

How about a straight razor though? I carried a razor for many years, and while rather fragile make for a passable light utility blade.
From the perspective of a cop though, what reason would you have to carry a straight razor? I would imagine you would have a hard time convincing anyone of a legitimate reason to carry one.

Maybe if you were taking it to a professional sharpener?

From the perspective of a cop though, what reason would you have to carry a straight razor? I would imagine you would have a hard time convincing anyone of a legitimate reason to carry one.

"I shave my head daily, and sometimes I go home with some skank and need to make myself presentable for work in the morning... and earlier today I needed to slice a lemon."

I noted that brass knuckles are specifically prohibited, as are: batons, mace, stun guns, nunchaku, throwing stars, cat o 9 tails sex toys, and those stupid rape alarms with the siren and strobe... but absolutely no mention of blackjacks or saps. There was a vague reference to "anything designed as a weapon" though, so I reckon they're illegal as well.

Doubt it. We had razor gangs in the 40s that pulled that trick. I imagine the laws have been cleaned up since then.

The carry of any self defence thing is only okay, last I checked, in WA, you can carry pepperspray, lots of people have written about why that makes no sense, and mace should be fine everywhere else by the logic used, but Australia is.... a colony. Weird as it is, legally, especially criminally, they look to London a lot. Canada has that big border to focus on so while their laws are nonsensical, they are reactionary in a different way, and at least try to make sense. But honestly, I don't want to suggest your risk matrix is invalid, we all have our own, but a decent 18650 flashlight and a little utility pocket knife, and you are likely fine (unless you plan on finding trouble, then just file the right paperwork and yes you can CCW here, you just need to have the right friends)

Well... being over the age of 44, it seems I'm pretty much barred from obtaining a visa unless I am an "investor," can prove I'm there for business, or get married to an Australian citizen... and even in those cases it could be arbitrarily denied.

Am I reading that wrong? It doesn't make sense to me.

No, I think you have that about right, you can vacation, but that's a pretty short visa. If you are coming in for a job, then that mostly gets taken care of, and I think a working visa eventually converts to a resident visa after a certain point in time, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know that the working visa conditions are different than the US, in that you have a bit more protection and time if the job falls through, but there are immigration consultants that can guide you through as I'm going off memory, and I'm sure you've read over most of it already. As for being rejected, it's unlikely unless you have a major record, or are from a country in the middle east. I also am not sure what the dual citizenship situation is for the US, it was easy for me being Canadian, but I think the US doesn't like that sort of thing.

You would have to check in NSW specifically, but generally you need a valid reason to carry most knives in Australia eg. camping or fishing etc.

I'm in QLD, and here you can carry a SAK or a "pen knife" without needing a reason other than utility but some states are stricter. Carrying anything for the purpose of self-defense would land you in trouble.

As far as police, again you'll have to check for NSW specifically but unless you are acting like a idiot or looking suspicious generally you won't be randomly searched. I don't know anyone who has been randomly searched just acting normally unless they are in a club precinct or airport or something. The police do generally have the power to search you for basically no reason though.

Keep in mind as well that the majority of the general public in Australia is quite anti-knife carry and there is a good chance you'll have at least some disapproving glances if you were to use anything other than a small slipjoint around sheeple. There has been a lot of media coverage in the last few years over knife crime and there are constant knee jerk calls in the media demanding knife and machete sales banned and all sorts of other rubbish.
This is correct. Australia’s Police state has beaten the public down so badly on knives, guns, driving, the pandemic that the general public is compliant and pansy-like. They would call the cops on you for j-walking almost. There’s search laws where if the cops want to for no reason they can stop you and have a shake down. It’s the weirdest country. I managed a year of it and returned to NZ where it’s more chilled out and free. I did carry a knife in Oz but they are really only searching 15 year old boys. Just carry a knife and if caught tell them it’s to cut up your apple at lunch you have a sore tooth.

Well... being over the age of 44, it seems I'm pretty much barred from obtaining a visa unless I am an "investor," can prove I'm there for business, or get married to an Australian citizen... and even in those cases it could be arbitrarily denied.

Am I reading that wrong? It doesn't make sense to me.
Oz is one of the most difficult countries to gain entry to. Under 45 or you can’t apply for skilled visa. And unless you’re on their skilled list of jobs with the correct education and right age and English requirements and a bunch of other stuff you will not get in. Getting married is not a viable route either. It is the most rule-bound society I’ve even lived in. Getting a company to sponsor you is an option. But that road is long and fraught. Easier to do that in New Zealand. Wait 5 years and become a citizen here then can move to Oz freely. I’m from South Africa and have lived in UK, Oz and Nz. I prefer NZ.

If you were a barber and were going home and intended sharpening your blade. BUT why is it on your person? It should be locked up in a box in your car. The cops there are hardcore.

I believe I had read in another thread, self defense is not a valid reason to have a knife if the police ask you why you have a knife. Valid reasons include use on a job, hunting, but it up the police how they determine if it is lawful. But knives like SA are ok as long as they do not lock. Take it with a grain of salt, there are good threads here that about knife laws in different states and nations.
It’s definitely the law in Australia that you may not carry anything with the intention of using it for self defence. Needless to say my brother-in-law still carries a baton and whip in his pickup

Thank you.
No knives are legal carry in Australia. An SAK is legal in QLD. I don’t believe there are exceptions. If you have a knife on you and are frisked there better be a good reason. Like you’re going fishing and have the rod in your hand. Cops can frisk you for no particular reason. You may not carry anything for self defence. Essentially don’t try defend yourself. I’ve lived there. Pretty much if you love freedom do not move there.

Pretty much if you love freedom do not move there.
I seem to have gotten that impression.

Job offer came from a longtime Facebook friend, who turns out to be incredibly wealthy. She currently lives in Sydney but just bought a walled estate in a rural location outside of Byron Bay and would like me to... ummmm... handle the estate's security needs, along with a few other things.

I expressed reservations about relocating to a totalitarian regime, but she seems to think she can take care of all my concerns regarding that, because money and lawyers I guess. Anyway, she's planning on flying out here in a few months to... ummm... "interview" me, and I'm rather looking forward to that, but half thinking it might be in my best interest just to remain here, in my 1 BR apartment in a dying crime infested city.

I dunno... if the interview goes well, maybe I'll just flip a coin.

Job offer came from a longtime Facebook friend, who turns out to be incredibly wealthy. She currently lives in Sydney but just bought a walled estate in a rural location outside of Byron Bay and would like me to... ummmm... handle the estate's security needs, along with a few other things.

I expressed reservations about relocating to a totalitarian regime, but she seems to think she can take care of all my concerns regarding that, because money and lawyers I guess. Anyway, she's planning on flying out here in a few months to... ummm... "interview" me, and I'm rather looking forward to that, but half thinking it might be in my best interest just to remain here, in my 1 BR apartment in a dying crime infested city.

If I was choosing USA vs Australia. I’d go Australia. My friend lives in Houston. Not bad. And Tennesee looks lovely. But I can’t tolerate those democrats and their Marxist rubbish. If you’re in China then I’d go USA or Oz. All is relative to your situation. I left a South Africa cos of the 80 murders a day. So anything’s better than that.

Last edited:

She worries me, why you out of all the options. To sponsor someone for residency is a big mission. Will have to see how she puts it to you in the interview so to speak.

Back