Off Topic Australia on fire

Stay safe mate. Looks like you're well prepped. We have had several bigguns burning in a recent times here in SEQ. Almost all are under some sort of control now. But that really means nothing as everything is tinder dry. Unusual for this area.

Glad you are OK mate, lots of people aren't just now !! the "Rualys" do a great job in crappy conditions when this shyte happens. I am in "The 'Burbs" but we butt onto one of the National Parks on the north side of Sydney. It is one spark from a big'n !!

Goodonya for looking out for your neighbour's place mate.

How is the smoke where you guys are? I heard it was pretty bad in Sydney, haven't heard much about SE QLD. I saw that earlier big areas of rainforest were burning in north QLD.

How is the smoke where you guys are?
..... horrible mate.... never seen it this bad in my life (except when I have been out fighting fires direct). It has hung around for a couple of weeks now (today is a good day however). We have not been able to have a window/door open at home and been driving permanently with the air in the car on recycle. The last couple of showers of rain we had left the cars looking like they had been through a dust storm not a rain storm, up in northern NSW they got smoke flavoured hail as well....

Where in NSW are you located? We have family in Orange & Kempsey. Supposedly Willawarrin is completely gone. Be safe down there mate!

I'm in the South East near Canberra. Yep it's terrible up north, I've talked to friends up there who said it's apocalyptic.

That terrain looks like it could produce some very fast ground fires. I hope you guys get some relief soon.

It's smoky outside

smoke3.jpg

Hope things improve for you and everyone effected by these fires. Sounds loke your doing everything you can to help prevent fires around you, fair dues to you for keeping an eye on your neighbours. Good neighbours are a blessing. Stay safe

Her are two pictures of a close friend of ours, I've blotted her picture out in respect for her privacy.
Luckily she was out and unable to return home, but came back to this. She has lost everything.

Resized_IMG_3455_zpsbybnfppz.jpeg

Resized_IMG_3493_zpse0ztqitg.jpeg

That's terrible, I'm sorry for her. Looking at those pics I'm glad she wasn't there. Some fires you just can't defend against.

Sorry to hear of your friend's loss Ian !! What area ?

Some fires you just can't defend against.
..... yes this....and knowing how and when to make that decision is the hardest part. But if in doubt leave. I remember many years ago when I still lived in the country i spent a good bit of time out with the crew working fires. I was young and we were defending a home on a property, I had a back pack sprayer on and was dealing with spotting mostly. I remember looking up and about 100yds away was what looked like a 10 foot wall of flame heading toward us.... suddenly the 20L pack and hand pump seemed entirely inadequate.... the pack was lost (easier to run like an Olympian without it) but I was OK and we came back in after only 15mins and before the house was well alight and saved it.

G'day Andy,
She's in west of Coffs Harbour on a property, sadly her Border collie dog was in there as well. As you probably know, the country up east of the divide and is like Armageddon, the worst I've seen in my 76 years of beating around the bush. I was up that way last week.
Pity they have restrictions with control burning these days, and our fire season has just begun.

That's very sad mate. I have a friend in the middle of coordinating much of the response out of Coffs and he has been smashed up by it all !!!!

The fire to the west has made the sky pretty dark

f12.jpg

There is a rain of burnt leaves and ash falling down

f11.jpg

And there is also a fire to the east

f13.jpg

The fire to the west has made the sky pretty dark

f12.jpg

There is a rain of burnt leaves and ash falling down

f11.jpg

And there is also a fire to the east

f13.jpg

I just read about that fire not too far from Braidwood? Wherever it is, it's huge!

Back